attackpilot

Well I screwed up again today. I was fabicating the 1032(L&R) longerons out of some 6061-T6 3/4"x3/4"x1/8" aluminum angle. A notch is required and I put it on the wrong face of one of the angles. I didn't catch it until after I bent the one that I did correctly down 2 degrees as called for in the plans so I can't reverse it.

I called Aircraft-Spruce to see about shipping a 99 inch piece and it would have to be shipped freight which would cost over $120.00 just for the shipping even though the part would cost less than $10.00. I checked Home Depot and Lowes and they didn't have what I needed. I plan to call some welding supply places on Monday.

I was wondering if I can put a repair patch over the bad notch and reverse the whole piece so that it is toward the front of the tailcone. I am concerned that if I didn't put a patch on, it could fail later because that is going to be a weak spot where a weak spot was not designed to be.

Please let me know if it is possible to patch this over and if so, the best way to do it to get the structural integrity I need there.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tailcone
AH-64D Instructor Pilot

i screwed up on J channel, ordered an ( i think) 80 inch length from van's - they packed it in PVC pipe, the part was something like $13, handling $8, and shipping $10 via fedex - might call van's - the $120 for shipping sounds way too much to me..

phil
kslc
10 emp, wings on their way...

actually was 8 feet - 96 onches, so very close to your size, think weight difference would not warrant the increased shipping....

Last edited:
Looooong pieces of angle

Joe:

Splicing can be done in certain situations. I'm not familiar with the -10 and the particular location you're talking about. If splicing won't work in your case, you might try this: Call the Trucking Co. Van's uses and ask what a 3 in. mailing tube 100 in. long would cost to ship. Probably a lot less than Aircraft $pruce's quote of $120.00.

You could have the Trucking Co. pick it up at Aircraft $pruce and drop it off at your place. They usually charge less if they pick up and deliver at a business address.

May not work, but worth a call if splicing won't work

Yellow Pages

Check the Yellow Pages for your nearest large city.... under Metal Suppliers?

The 6061-T6 is pretty common stuff... lots of non-aircraft places in Los Angeles sold it... I'm sure other cities are similar.

gil in Tucson

This place in Austin?

http://www.metals4u.com/

Last edited:
Structural?

A small caveat. The metal supplier here in Detroit has more than one kind of 6061. It is not just the temper. Look for the inside radius. The sharp radius is not structural, the rounded one is.

HELP is here - kind of

Joe,

I live in Kyle, which is just south of Austin. I'm currently building the wings for my -9 and have two longerons, which came packed with the spars. Fortunately for you (maybe), I'm planning to have my fuselage "quick-built" so I'd be willing to part with one. (I would imagine they are the same part.)

Shoot me an email or give me a ring, if you're interested in coming down for it. (There's a Home Depot five minutes from me where we can get some "shipping" pvc to protect it.)

Fred
magaref "at" hayscisd.net
(619) 889-5739 (c) lv msg
(512) 268-0370 (h)

Structural stuff needed....

hevansrv7a said:
A small caveat. The metal supplier here in Detroit has more than one kind of 6061. It is not just the temper. Look for the inside radius. The sharp radius is not structural, the rounded one is.

You need the stuff called "structural" and not "architectural" grade.

However, the architectural angle is usually 6063-T53, a whole different product...

Example here...

http://metallinks.metalsdepot.com/products/alum2.phtml?page=aangle&LimAcc=$LimAcc&aident=

Make sure it is 6061-T6 with a radiused inside corner.

gil in Tucson

Problem Solved

Thanks for all the input everyone.

A special thanks to Fred from Kyle, Texas for offering me the piece I needed for nothing more than a ride when I complete it. People like Fred are what makes the homebuilt airplane community great. If all Americans were as involved and considerate as we are, the country would be much better off.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tailcone
AH-64D Instructor Pilot

Machine shops

Another option-

You can call around the local machine shops. They likely don't have it but they can get it. Since they most likely get deliveries of metals on a regular basis the shipping costs shouldn't be too high (possibly free). Most of the deliveries are made with very long flatbed trucks so 15' lengths aren't an issue for delivery.

Unless you live in a very small city you might find several machine shops in your area.

Paul
RV-7A finishing.

attackpilot said:
People like Fred are what makes the homebuilt airplane community great. If all Americans were as involved and considerate as we are, the country would be much better off.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tailcone
AH-64D Instructor Pilot

Thanks for the kind words, Joe. I regret I was unable to greet you personally, but glad I was able to help. I'll hold on to your number (with your permission), if I'm ever up near Killeen perhaps I could come see your project and buy you lunch. (I've got an unexpected $20 lying around. :D Thank you.)

Happy building.
Fred

I miss cut both of mine for my -10 and Van's sent me new ones for under $35. That's with shipping to Savannah. Call Van's and it will be there before you know it.