As I have been lurking her for many years and have still not pulled the trigger on a QB kit the thought crossed my mind.... Has anyone here built their RV totally by themselve meaning bucked every rivet and everthing else with no help... Is it even possible? I often read about how there are some rivets that are just to hard to get to and someone has to hold the bucking bar and such... So I wondered if there are person's here that have truly built an RV by themselves... If so congrats on a truly amazing accomplishment...

I still have the itch but still don't have the money to build an RV 7A yet... I figure by the time I do I will be pushing 45, now I'm 38.. Ouch... I still want to do it someday but I need to get my finances in order first... Can't believe how expensive kids are.... My 11 year old wants to help me build one also... I think it will be a fun project someday....

I still love coming to this site and seeing all the beautiful RV's that each of you are building and flying... I love the stories of success as well as heartache.. Truly inspiring...

I don't believe someone could build one of these planes without another person to hold a bucking bar, nut & washer or SOMETHING!

You won't be at a loss for volunteers. People are always interested in the process.

The only way to build one of these alone is with the swipe of a pen across a check!

:p CJ

It may be possible.....with a caveat. I built both my RV's 99.8% solo and that included mating the wings to the fuselage and hanging the engine completely alone. The only help I needed was for those rare times my wife helper was needed on the rivet gun while I bucked those relatively few rivets that were physically impossible for me to reach. It is important to note that I shot mostly AD5 and AD6 rivets for a living (no tungsten bucking bars either) so RV riveting was very easy for me. I made it a game. Each wing on my RV8 had just 44 rivets that I could not physically reach and I called upon my wife to help me with those. I suppose it may be possible to build an RV 100% alone but that would be based upon the structural acceptability of using a number of structural blind rivets in areas you could not access by yourself. I sincerely doubt anyone using solid rivets per plans call-out has built an RV completely alone. Now that would be some trick indeed!

Yes you can build an RV solo if you do not count the helper you will need for bucking to close out the wings and fuselage.

I built my airplane (other than EAA Tech Counselor and others doing inspection) with only help being to close out riveting.

The RV-6 plans calls for riveting the bottom on the fuselage first. If you rivet the sides first, you only need a bucker to help rivet the buttom and the part of the turtle deck that you cannot reach solo.

I made first flight right after my 40th birthday. When I started, I asked myself, how will I pay for this? My answer was: How much money could I spare if someone GAVE ME the completed airplane and all I had to do was pay to fly it? My answer in 1988 was $75 per week. I had $75 deducted from my weekly pay check and placed in an account in my credit union. Over the next 8.5 years, the $75 per week paid for the airplane and it flew September 1997 and was PAID FOR.

To build the airplane, I gave up watching television and spending money on anything that was not necessary for life.

Last edited:
I built my RV-6A by myself & wife for riveting

I built our RV-6A in our garage except for final assemble with the help of my wife for bucking rivets. I think your son could probably do this but he will probably learn a few things at the cost of airplane cosmetics unless you both attend a "basic how to build a metal airplane basic school" (for example relaxing on the bucking bar while you are still hammering). At least one of you should go then practice riveting and communication/coordination on practice material. It is not hard to learn but you should get some basic instruction before working on your airplane. I found the George and Becki Orndorf DVDs excellent to help me understand techniques and requirements for building especially the canopy and fitting the cowl. I have experience with electronics and wiring but this needs to be right so you may need some help there if you have never worked with this type of thing. There is a lot of reference material out there but manufacturers use different signal names for the same thing and they assume some standard knowledge like mic and headset jack wiring sometimes. This needs careful study and a full wiring diagram development for your airplane before starting wiring so you know what you have and can upgrade later.

I was 60 when I started my airplane and it took 8 years to "complete." I'm still modifying it.

Bob Axsom

Hi Dave

I can relate about your desire to get started. I see that you're a Fireman? I read about 2 Firemen building two kit airplanes at the station. If you're going be spending time at work, might as well build something. My 12 year old daughter is also available to help me and eager to help. We built Van's toolbox last week and she enjoyed the process. While I haven't decided on what I want to build, right now it's between a straight 7 or a straight 8.

While waiting around you might start collecting the tools you will be needing. I was surprised at how much $ it took to set up a proper shop. I had some tools from my early days however when I recently made the decision to build a plane for our family, I was unprepared for the Grand Total. (close to 7 grand). Of course, I keep the receipts hidden in a box in the garage; the Admiral has never asked :)....thankfully. But if you are going to build an aircraft you really should start collecting to specialized tools needed. Less of a hit if you take a couple of years. Your daughter will have pleasant memories of being with Dad and building an airplane. Here's my 3 car garage as of last week.
We're in Orange County California.

15hjx93.jpg

Thanks everyone for your replies... I know when I build I will not be doing it solo as I have 2 boys that would love to help as well as a few friends that work in the Airplane industry for Rutan that would be more than willing to help... I was just wondering as I have never read about it and was thinking how near impossible it would be...

I also appreciate hearing the stories of dedication and hard work those of you have endured through the years... This is definitely something that when the time comes will consume a large part of your life... Like I said I need to get myself in a better position to take on such a project... Right now my kids are to into motorcycling etc so the Motor home and Trailer and trips to the track and Desert are not going to go away... And any of you that know much about that know it's not cheap... Right now my kids and family are my top priority but I will continue to lurk here and someday be one of the ones like you giving advise to others who are looking to build... Thanks alot for the time you all take to help future builders...

On my 9A, I have done it completely solo up until about a week ago, wings and tail were no problem but there are a few spots on the fuse where you simply must have another set of arms, it's not possible to hold the gun and the bucking bar at the same time. 99.9%, yes I would believe.

Possible to build it solo. 99.95%. Remaining 0.05 % counts child labor, neibour fireman's son was too curious too often :D I got him to hold some tools.

I wish...

"... I see that you're a Fireman? I read about 2 Firemen building two kit airplanes at the station. If you're going be spending time at work, might as well build something."

With spending 24 hours at the station for 10 or 11 days a month, I would love to convince the boss that I need to work on the project here. For some reason, I think you'd need a pretty special Chief who would allow this type of project in the fire house. And it would be like a puzzle....co-workers couldn't resist installing a piece or two! :D