McFly

Well Known Member
(naked as in without paint) bad for the fiberglass pieces and the filler? Sorry guys my last post got zero responses, at least I have your attention on this one. :D

I plan on flying for a few months (maybe a year) unpainted but the plane will be kept in hanger. I know some guys use primer as an interim coating but I would rather bypass that step unless I have to. Thanks.

Flying "naked" is not a problem. Actualy flying in primer is more of a problem, especially for the aluminum. The primary purpose of primer is to help the paint adhere. Because of this, primer is purposfully porous. The pores in the primer actually hold moisture and can cause premature corrosion. If you are not going to paint right away, leave it "naked"! Actually primer on the fiberglas won't hurt, but it doesn't help either.

Dude :p
Flying naked requires sunscreen!
Your parts will not like the UV radiation. Paint on some type of primer at least.

Let me further elaborate on my previous post. I'm thinking of the "old" fibreglas with gelcoat. If these parts have gelcoat (such as the wingtips), that will protect them from UV. If they are the later Prepreg "bare" glass (such as the cowling), then yes, put something over them.

I see Mel clarified himself before I could respond- but yes, if you have bare fiberglass, put some primer/ sealer on it. UV will break down the epoxy. I recommened Dupont K36.

The Factory Gives Some Direction

In the RVator, third issue, 2001, the factory specifies a process that I followed. I flew for just over one year befor painting and there were no ill effects. You should read the process at the source which is entitled "Prepping the Cowling for Paint" because there are a lot of details in the article. The basic coating they recommend is about 1 ounce of epoxy resin properly mixed and thinned 1 to 1 with acetone. They used West systems but state any good epoxy will work. I used 24 hr cure E-Z Poxy brand and it gave a golden hue to the fiberglass.

Bob Axsom

Primer needs to be fresh to paint

McFly said:
(naked as in without paint) bad for the fiberglass pieces and the filler? Sorry guys my last post got zero responses, at least I have your attention on this one. :D

I plan on flying for a few months (maybe a year) unpainted but the plane will be kept in hanger. I know some guys use primer as an interim coating but I would rather bypass that step unless I have to. Thanks.
You need to apply the finish paint coat on primer with in hours or no more than 24 hours, depends on system. Old dirty primer is a bad start to a paint job. You can sand all the old stuff off, but you are better leaving it unpainted until you are ready to etch, alodine, prime the paint the plane. You want the min primer anyway if painting. Priming over old primer is adding needless weight.

Thanks guys

Sorry for not being clear, my post was concerning fiberglass only.

Flying naked requires sunscreen!

I think that about sums it up, thanks. :)

Metal protection while "naked"

I am in phase I and don't plan to paint until winter after this coming one. At KDET, I find the atmosphere is corrosive, especially when the aluminum gets a little wet. I used an automotive "Teflon paint sealant" type of protection for the bare aluminum which makes it much slipperier and protects from acid precip. or whatever we get here. I suppose almost any wax would do, but this one will be easy to remove when preparing for paint, including in the crevises. The sealant makes the bugs fall off, too. BTW - I use Rejex on the canopy with excellent results.