luv2flypilot

Well Known Member
I was wondering if a certified static check is required for DAR inspection and first flight? I purchased the "EAA Step-by-Step Certification Guide" and have gone through it a few times and do not see anything noted about it being required, so I am thinking no?

Thanks,

I was wondering if a certified static check is required for DAR inspection and first flight? I purchased the "EAA Step-by-Step Certification Guide" and have gone through it a few times and do not see anything noted about it being required, so I am thinking no?

Thanks,
A static check is highly recommended. It took almost 2 hours to chase down a static leak in my -6A prior to its first flight. Having recently been awarded the Airworthiness Certificate on my -8, neither the static or transponder check was required. Having said that and living under Class B airspace, the first flight will not be conducted until I am satisfied both systems check out. We usually wait until at least 6 airplanes on our small airport need a transponder check before we call the guy. He is very busy.

It's an operation issue, not an airworthiness issue.

Rick has it right. The transponder/static check is not required for the Airworthiness sign off. It's an operational issue. You must have the check done before flying with the transponder on.

The only time I require that the pitot static nad transponder check be completed is if the first flight is to be made underneath the mode C veil of a class B airspace.
Is it a good idea to have it done? Yes, especially if there is all fancy glass that requires good pitot static information. And especially if the first flight is made by a low time/inexperienced RV pilot. The reality is that all of our RV's can be safely flown just by looking out the window, but it takes discipline to do that and not pay atention to erroneous airspeed indications and/or alarms.
I watched a 30 year airline pilot at our home community land hot and flip his super cub over because he locked onto an erroneous airspeed indicator that had a pitot leak in the hose at the connection (unbeknownst to him at the time).
I'm sure there are those on this list who have taken off with the pitot cover still attached and the airplane flew quite safely (VFR, of course!). Some of us will admit it, and probably some won't. :)

Vic

Unless you plan on doing all of your flying close to the surface, you need to have some assurance that your altitude is close to that required for your direction of flight, even in uncontrolled airspace. It's a matter of safety. Required? No, not really, but neither are tires.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Thanks For The Info

Unless you plan on doing all of your flying close to the surface, you need to have some assurance that your altitude is close to that required for your direction of flight, even in uncontrolled airspace. It's a matter of safety. Required? No, not really, but neither are tires.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Thanks Terry for the good advice. I think I will pull the tires off so that I can save a few pounds on my weight and balance! :D Just Kidding!

Thanks for all your help. I know it is a good idea, I was just wondering if it was required.

My DAR made me...

Put "INOP" on the xpdr and conditioned that I fly with the xpdr breaker pulled until the checks are done.

I also built in to my flight test plan that I would do flight testing of the xpdr (call atc) after getting the pitot-static and encoder inspection/tests were done.

I did not get this done before the inspection, and the above was easy to do. If my inspection had been pushed out for another week or two, I would have put these checks higher on the priority list.

The only time I require that the pitot static nad transponder check be completed is if the first flight is to be made underneath the mode C veil of a class B airspace.
Is it a good idea to have it done? Yes, especially if there is all fancy glass that requires good pitot static information. And especially if the first flight is made by a low time/inexperienced RV pilot. The reality is that all of our RV's can be safely flown just by looking out the window, but it takes discipline to do that and not pay atention to erroneous airspeed indications and/or alarms.
I watched a 30 year airline pilot at our home community land hot and flip his super cub over because he locked onto an erroneous airspeed indicator that had a pitot leak in the hose at the connection (unbeknownst to him at the time).
I'm sure there are those on this list who have taken off with the pitot cover still attached and the airplane flew quite safely (VFR, of course!). Some of us will admit it, and probably some won't. :)

Vic

Hi Vic,

I'll admit it - but it was mud dabbers and I should have caught it on the pre-flight inspection, especially since the wind blew the pitot cover off, as I recall. :)

With regard to transponder operation and the log sign off, there really does not appear to much wiggle room. Part 91.215(a) is a tedious legal statement with regard to where a transponder and/or mode C is required. Basically, it is within Class A,B,and C airspace and above 10,000' and under the veil of B. Also, 91.413 is rather explicit with regard to the 24 month inspection, which obviously includes a sign off when first installed. Point here being, when it comes time for a post incident investigation, one of the items focused on is such legal items. At least it was in my event. An insurance company will look at every legal aspect of the flight and if there is a questionable area, it could be a headache for the the pilot filing the claim. The RV certainly is capable of flying above 10,000 feet anywhere.

You may wish to rethink authorizing a first flight without such a log sign off in view of the legalistic world we live in. My DAR did require it although as you say, we are within 30 miles of and under Class B airspace associated with such a designated air port.

This horse has been flogged before.

Near as I can figure out, it all boils down to the DAR you use.

Data Point, gentleman from FAA, not DAR, inspected a couple of local planes in the last few years, no P/S check required.

David, as a DAR we only sign off on an airplane that is in a condition for safe operation. Transponder checks, map databases, etc., don't really affect the safe operation. It is up to the pilot to follow the FAR's for operation of that aircraft, and to remember that there is other traffic in the airspace that they will be flying in.
The limitations actually state that the equipment on board must be in compliance with the pertinent FAR's, which would cover the transponder.
I try to remind the builder-soon-to-be-pilot of things to be thinking about now that it has gone from building to flying.

Vic

My inspection was done by my local FSDO. They wouldn't even come out to inspect the airplane for it's Airworthiness inspection unless it was done.

As others have said probably depends on whose inspecting it. On the other hand I was sure glad I had it done when taking that first flight!!

Ted

A static check is highly recommended. It took almost 2 hours to chase down a static leak in my -6A prior to its first flight. Having recently been awarded the Airworthiness Certificate on my -8, neither the static or transponder check was required. Having said that and living under Class B airspace, the first flight will not be conducted until I am satisfied both systems check out. We usually wait until at least 6 airplanes on our small airport need a transponder check before we call the guy. He is very busy.

Will be looking forward to your first C/S prop re...............I mean transponder operation report.. :D

L.Adamson