Matt:

Maybe. There is an old saying that Lycoming never made two engines the same. Maybe someone with more experience can answer this with a post.

Depends on:
1. Is it a hollow crank?
2. Does the case have correct bearings that will accept CS operation?
3. Does the case have the hole to add the governor line at the front?
4. Is the accessory case machined for a governor drive adaptor?

If all of the above is yes, then most likely it can be converted.

Lycoming Service Instruction 1435 contains the Lycoming instructions to convert the engine to / from and from / to - fixed pitch / constant speed.

The above SI does not list the -E2B engine but it also does not list my -B2B and I converted it 10 years ago. It has been flying over 9 years and 1,974 hours.

Someone that "knows" looking at the engine should be able to give you a better answer than what I can by this post.

Not sure if this helps, but here's what I found on the "E" series O-320s. Looks like it is not CS capable base on this chart. Maybe you can change the accessory case and put in a hollow crank, but I'm not an engine guy.

O-320-E1A 150 2700 80 7.00:1 Same as -A3B but with Type 1 dynafocal mounts -27
O-320-E1B 150 2700 80 7.00:1 Same as -ETA except for Retard Breaker Magnetos -27
O-320-E1C 150 2700 80 7.00:1 Same as -ETA but has -1200 series Magnetos -27
O-320-E1F 150 2700 80 7.00:1 Same as -E1C but with propeller governor drive on left front of crankcase -27
O-320-EU 150 2700 80 7.00:1 Same as -E1F but has Slick Magnetos -27
O-320-E2A 150/140 2700/2450 80 7.00:1 Same as -ETA but with fixed pitch propeller and uses 3/8 inch attaching bolts and has alternate rating of 140 at 2450 RPM. -27
O-320-E2B 150 2700 80 7.00:1 Same as -E2A except for Retard Breaker Magnetos

If it has the correct crankshaft and case installed, the shaft and nose bearing setup is constant speed capable. If you check the other external items Gary mentioned, and they are there, you will be all set for cs operation.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I appreciate the feedback, but I am no better off. I am looking at an RV-4 with this engine, but the seller does not know if it will take a C/S prop as it is. He has a wood on it now. Thanks for the help though!

ANd one more thing ...

RV6_flyer said:
Matt:

Maybe. There is an old saying that Lycoming never made two engines the same. Maybe someone with more experience can answer this with a post.

Depends on:
1. Is it a hollow crank?
2. Does the case have correct bearings that will accept CS operation?
3. Does the case have the hole to add the governor line at the front?
4. Is the accessory case machined for a governor drive adaptor?

If all of the above is yes, then most likely it can be converted.

Lycoming Service Instruction 1435 contains the Lycoming instructions to convert the engine to / from and from / to - fixed pitch / constant speed.

The above SI does not list the -E2B engine but it also does not list my -B2B and I converted it 10 years ago. It has been flying over 9 years and 1,974 hours.

Someone that "knows" looking at the engine should be able to give you a better answer than what I can by this post.
On our "B2B" (as I recall), I went through all of the above and was ready to install my just purchased CS prop and found a surprise!! When the front plug was removed and all the gunk cleaned out, there was NO holes/sprayer bar for the oil!!! YIKES!!! Yes, the crank was hollow. I could look back into the engine and yes to the above items from Gary.

Strangely enough, I had been told by a local maintenance "guru" that some years prior he had run into one case where they were about to "convert" a plane and found this. Had to pull the engine and replace the crank.

It is probably worth pull the plug and looking inside before you buy the prop/governor etc. Ask me how I know.
icon9.gif

James