I am planning to someday build an RV-9A. My mission profile includes long trips from Sacramento CA to Wisconsin as well as shorter trips all over the western US. The combined weight of myself and spouse is about 400 lbs.

There seem to be plenty of 0-290 engines around for very little money. With our weight are we going to get the climb performance we need to get over the mountains safely if we use an 0-290 engine and a fixed pitch cruise prop?

keep in mind that the 290 is no longer supported by Lycoming. There are some parts readily available, some not so, mainly cylinders and cylinder parts. A better choice IMO would be the 0320. There are tons of run-out cores available for roughly the same price you would pay for an 0-290. The overhaul costs are close enough to warrant the extra HP you'll get from the 320. Good Luck

Allen

I had an O-290-D2 in my Tri-Pacer. A fine engine for mountain flying with a climb prop. Parts, specifically cylinders, are scarce. Put Gibson Aviation in OK CIty on your speed-dial. Either get a 0 or low time 290 (to last your lifetime) or go with the larger 320.
Steve

That's it. No 0-290. Say no more.

Without factory support and parts available I need look no further.
Now I know why they are available so cheap! Thanks for your prompt replies.

63scrounger said:
Without factory support and parts available I need look no further.
Now I know why they are available so cheap! Thanks for your prompt replies.
Don't give up so quick on this engine. The O-290-D2 has only had one AD on it, and that was for the carb.

True, Lycoming no longer supports them but there are a lot of good used parts out there for them. If you can find one for the right price, it is a good deal.

There is a lot of BS going on about this engine but I have found them to be just that, BS.

Lycoming killed the engine so they could sell more O-320's. Remember when this engine came out it could be purchased in 140 hp or 150 hp trim so who wants a 135 hp engine? Later they bumped the compression and it started putting out 160 hp.

That said, if you are looking for an engine in need of a Major, go with the O-320.

I found my O-290-D2 for $3,500 w/ 0SMHO. Can't go wrong there. Of course, finding the carb was another issue but I eventually located one and had it overhauled (yellow tagged).

I can't wait to fire this thing up for the first time!