Hi Al,

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=charging%20voltage%20for%20sla%20batteries

(Not much if any difference for flooded cells, if you're still using one. If you're using a new Lithium type, ask the mfgr, but odds are that you'll be ok.)

edit: Trust, but verify. Check it with a known-good digital meter, at the same point where the EIS is measuring.

Here's the Odyssey owner's manual:
http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-OM-007_0209_rev_000.pdf
Charlie

Last edited:
if its the same as a 12V automotive charging system that is perfect! id be worried after 14.9 and up. 15.0v can start to boil batteries.

I don't know what the AGM batteries will accommodate, but that is high for an alternator. I thought most auto alternators run 14.0-14.2 range. In a flooded battery, in the upper 14's you are in the equalize stage and your losing electrolyte. Put a meter on your battery and test. The only thing that matters to the battery is the voltage on it's terminals

I don't know what the AGM batteries will accommodate, but that is high for an alternator. I thought most auto alternators run 14.0-14.2 range. In a flooded battery, in the upper 14's you are in the equalize stage and your losing electrolyte. Put a meter on your battery and test. The only thing that matters to the battery is the voltage on it's terminals

Just a data point - I thought 14.5 would be high too, but I took an alternator off a late model Tahoe and it tested at AZone at 14.5, just like on the vehicle. Their chart said 14.5 was the spec, and the new one from the box tested exactly the same. I reinstalled the old one. :eek:

Just a data point - I thought 14.5 would be high too, but I took an alternator off a late model Tahoe and it tested at AZone at 14.5, just like on the vehicle. Their chart said 14.5 was the spec, and the new one from the box tested exactly the same. I reinstalled the old one. :eek:

I believe you, but I have to wonder if that doesn't take it's toll on the batteries longevity. I know that the max float voltage for lead acid batteries is about 13.8. Charging is acceptable up to around 14.75, but not floating. It's all about compromise, I suppose. By uping the charge voltage to 14.5, the OEM drives a much better and faster charge rate at the expense of battery life.

I had a 2000 BMW and I think it's alternator voltage rate was 14 volts. I got over 7 years and 75,000 miles out of the original battiery. I don't believe you could do that with a 14.5 volt float level.

I used to design and sell large UPS systems as part of large telecommunication systems. The units had a float setting (13.75 volts) and an equalize setting for charging and de-sulfication (can't remember the figures we used, but upper 14"s). Customers would equalize every 3 months (to de-sulfate the plates) and one customer forgot to switch it back to float. They had an outage and only got about 20% of the designed reserve capacity of battery group.
Larry

Last edited:
Do you fly short local flights? 14.5V is no problem.
If you fly very long cross country legs all the time, You might like a slightly lower voltage on a flooded cell Lead Acid battery.

i found that what the gauge says is being put out may be different than what is being put into the battery. check at the battery to get accurate data. ;)
ED9B8DA3-7509-439C-8064-B5DB67B84A6D.jpg

875DEBE5-B3C7-4F65-B030-44DEF6921628.jpg

If you have a 12v aux power plug, you can purchase a plug in voltmeter on Ebay or Amazon to check the voltage at that point. About $4-5 and useful to cross-check your built-in voltmeter.