I wounder if Van's knows?

hummmmmmmmmmm..... dozens of non PC comments come to mind, but I'll save them for my own amusement, but it sure looks like a RV to me. I love the photo shop picture where they made it a retract. Why does seeing this make me concerned? Apparently it's a look a like, very close, but is different. G

Last edited:
pierre smith said:
Hi everybody,
I just found this on another site. It sure looks like an RV6 A and I couldn't help but wonder if Van knows about it.

http://www.aii-co.com/en/index_e.asp When it opens, click on Ava 202,
Looks like their "ag" plane is also a copied/stolen design. I saw these fire planes in Battle Mountain, NV last year. Other than the fact that the BAM planes had turbines, the airframe looks identical.

They'll make a nice target for a sidewinder someday.

The 303 (http://www.aii-co.com/en/ava303.asp) is co-designed by PZL of Poland, which also makes the Wilga. You can really see some resemblance.

I checked the wing span and chord of the 202, and it doesn't match the 6, 7 or 9. I think they were just stylistically inspired by RVs. Besides, I don't think Van is all that afraid that these guys are going to steal his market, even if it were a direct copy.

I have actually seen an AVA 202 in the flesh at the Avalon International Airshow in Melbourne Australia in 2005.

From a distance you certainly think you are looking at an RV6A.

Once you get closer though there are subtle differences in the canopy shape, wing design and general aircraft shape.

At the time I thought that Vans must have modified an RV for them and let them construct it under licence.
I was however getting confused with the contract he had with the Nigerian Air Force in which 60 RV6A aircraft were modified and built under licence.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/nigerian.htm

I think it's kind of funny if you click on the "Top Aviation Websites" there is a few US Air Force sites listed.

hmmmm

Truth is stranger than fiction.... It all comes down to the dollar. I'd say it's a reverse engineered -6a.(with some minor changes).. he let Van do all the hard work. Lets not forget the lo-presti cowl too... Rember the russian version of the dc-3 and the B-29?
Pierre is right about the ag planes in the pics....
Brian

Now we know where we can sell our ADF radios!!!

I noticed the 202 info page listing "other features" includes the following:

Instrumentation: ADF and GPS at customer' request

So if you're like me, and have an old Cessna that has an ADF, we now have a market for 'em!!!

Hmmmm...wonder if this would fall under Export Control and the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations...

Maybe Borat can help me...

Don

Lopresti did not invent the round inlet cowl

brianwallis said:
Lets not forget the lo-presti cowl too...
Brian
Not sure what you mean but Lopresti DID NOT INVENT the round inlet cowl. He actually copied it from the School of Aeronautics at Mississippi State University.

Thru grants from NASA, in the late 70's, Dr. Miles, et al, at Mississippi State "invented" the round inlets for horizontal opposed air cooled engines and showed the importance of a sealed cooling plenums. Not to take anything away from the late Roy Lopresti or Barnard's "holy cowl" for RV's, they took existing info and adapted it to individual models. NASA info is public knowlege. The thing that bothers me is we (USA) give this data away to other countries. BTW the Russian's way reverse engineered B-29's exactly, rivet for rivet, after WWII from some that had landed there during the war.

Last edited:
Wind tunnel photos show some of the biggest differences:

9.jpg

11.jpg

Look at how the flaps & ailerons attach and hinge.