Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
I'm interested in using my Garmin 496 sometimes in my car including listening to the XM music. Since I already have an FM modulator for my IPOD I was wondering if there is any kind of adapter that converts an IPOD style plug to mini stereo so that the modulator can be plugged into the back of the Garmin?

Thanks,

Bryan,

It is my understanding that the 1/8" jack on the back of the 496 is for output only, not input.

What I did was put a jack on my panel to connect an audio in from either my iPod or 496 into my stereo intercom.

Do a search, this has come up before.

Last edited:
Probably my fault for not being clear on my question Bill. In order to use the 496 in the car for music I needed to plug a fm modulator into the audio out jack on the 496. This modulator will broadcast the audio on fm at a frequency that you can set to match up with an unused fm station for your area. Then you just listen to the radio and the signal from the Garmin magically appears. The modulator that I already had only plugged into an ipod and I was looking for an adaptor that would allow it to plug into the mini stereo jack out of the garmin. I didn't find that, but I did find a modulator for $40 that has two seperate cords that can be switched out. One will allow it to work with the ipod and the other has a plug that will go into the audio out of a walkman, cd player, ..., 496. It's already been tested in the car and works great.

Thanks again,

Bryan Wood said:
..., but I did find a modulator for $40 that has two seperate cords that can be switched out. One will allow it to work with the ipod and the other has a plug that will go into the audio out of a walkman, cd player, ..., 496. It's already been tested in the car and works great.

Uhhh...if I may ask - where'd you get that? :cool: Sounds like something I'd like to do. :rolleyes:

(BTW, I was born and raised in San Jose!)

I got a "universal modulator" at Fry's that plugs into just about anything with a headphone jack....and there was a whole wall of them to choose from! I've used it with both my iPod and 36 in my truck....

Paul

Bryan Wood said:
Probably my fault for not being clear on my question Bill. In order to use the 496 in the car for music I needed to plug a fm modulator into the audio out jack on the 496. This modulator will broadcast the audio on fm at a frequency that you can set to match up with an unused fm station for your area. Then you just listen to the radio and the signal from the Garmin magically appears. The modulator that I already had only plugged into an ipod and I was looking for an adaptor that would allow it to plug into the mini stereo jack out of the garmin. I didn't find that, but I did find a modulator for $40 that has two seperate cords that can be switched out. One will allow it to work with the ipod and the other has a plug that will go into the audio out of a walkman, cd player, ..., 496. It's already been tested in the car and works great.

Thanks again,

I don't think you can do that. Digital vs. Analog audio signals.