cujet

Please excuse my total ignorance and any errors in terminology. I'm a long time private pilot and only fly easy VFR. My flights are generally simple (such as along the Florida coastline) and avoid controlled airspace whenever possible.

I currently use an Anywhere Map Travel Companion (1 year old) and also have the software (laptop PC based). I also have a Garmin hand held GPS.

Recently, my travel companion and Garmin GPS failed to operate in flight(unrelated failures). So, I have concluded that I would like an iPhone 4 based moving map.

I can't determine which app I need, as none of the descriptions are 100% clear to me. Bottom line: I need a capable backup with moving map, night mode, terrain, airport info and possibly weather/TFR's. Understanding that data transfer generally won't happen in flight and that using a phone in flight is prohibited. However, if I need it, I need it.

I don't need electronic sectionals, approach plates, IFR data, flight plan filing capability and the like. This is only a backup for my backup.

Thanks,

Chris

A Back-up to the Back-up

Chris,

I respectfully suggest your back-up to the back-up be a paper sectional chart. Don’t lose those pilotage skills. Just like the guys now using the new I-pad are discovering, the units are overheating in flight and are shutting down.

Tom

Last edited:
IPad/IPhone

I have sectionals but like to use my IPad/IPhone for the moving map function which works off the GPS device in both. SkyChartsPro will work in both and is $19.99 for a year's worth of current ones. My IPad has never overheated in the plane...why would it?...it doesn't overheat on the ground. In fact it has a 10 hour rechargeable battery. It worked great on a recent 26 hour/2600 nm trip to OSH/Wyoming/Texas.

Last edited:
SkyChartsPro looks good and is cheap enough. Can the moving map be de-cluttered? I would prefer a simple moving map. Not an electronic sectional.

Also, I've read about tethering the iPhone to the iPad. Any thoughts?

SkyCharts

No you can't declutter SkyCharts though it does have enroutes. Have you tried AeroCharts? It's pretty much decluttered to begin with. Why would you want to tether your iphone to your ipad? They are the same except for the phone and the size.

IPad

Tom,

You didn't hijack anything. The specs on IPad have always stated an operating environment range of -4F to 113F. And 10,000ft. My personal operating environment range is well within the range. No you can't leave it on the seat in Texas while you go eat lunch but I wouldn't do that anyway. Obviously some owners were not aware of the limitations or wished they were wrong. It is certainly something to take into consideration before purchasing.

My iPad overheated while in flight, heading south, in direct sun. I was above 10,000 feet and it was comfortable - not warm - in the cockpit.

I think if you can keep it mostly shaded it'll be okay.

Incidentally, it worked just fine at 14,500 feet.