Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
On flight from 2S6 to KBIL yesterday tried iPhone E of Missoula at 9.5' and brought up WXMeister quickly so could see WX ahead of us, metars, etc. Surprised because I didn't think they worked that way. Was this an anomoly?
Would like to hear thoughts or experiences of others.

For you numbers crunchers, trip was 769 sm per GPS, took 4:12, burned 32.1 gals. Ran LOP WOT @ 2400 R's.

Dodged a few T-Cells on the route, lots of bumps around Butte, otherwise really nice. After tiedown a NASTY T-Storm rolled thru Billings, 46kt Breeze, lightning, no hail, thanks. I would not recommend the use of Van's light canopy cover in those winds as it looked like a sail struggling to get free.

On to Boulder, CO next Sat for grandsons orientation at UofCO. Any Boulderites here?

Me too

I live in Missoula and have the iPhone and Ipad (wifi+3G) with Foreflight. I've had pretty good luck picking up Foreflight Wx in flight within 100 miles of here, even over remote country and up to 11,000 ft. Somewhat sporadic, but anywhere there's a cell signal, it seems to have a good chance of picking it up.

I picked up cell service over Missoula while flying out to Oshkosh a few weeks ago. I noticed the cell service because I had my iPhone playing tunes on the intercom and the music was interrupted by a "You have a new text message" tone. I was able to respond to the text at 11,500'! I usually can't get any service in the air.

On flight from 2S6 to KBIL yesterday tried iPhone E of Missoula at 9.5' and brought up WXMeister quickly so could see WX ahead of us, metars, etc. Surprised because I didn't think they worked that way. Was this an anomoly?
Would like to hear thoughts or experiences of others.

For you numbers crunchers, trip was 769 sm per GPS, took 4:12, burned 32.1 gals. Ran LOP WOT @ 2400 R's.

Dodged a few T-Cells on the route, lots of bumps around Butte, otherwise really nice. After tiedown a NASTY T-Storm rolled thru Billings, 46kt Breeze, lightning, no hail, thanks. I would not recommend the use of Van's light canopy cover in those winds as it looked like a sail struggling to get free.

On to Boulder, CO next Sat for grandsons orientation at UofCO. Any Boulderites here?

Jerry, are you picking up the signal with the cell phone antenna?

I've gotten cell service, sporadically, as high as 13000 ft. I would really like to have the antenna to get service consistently, as I would like to have weathermeister and other weather info accessible in flight, but am unwilling to pay for the XM subscription since I don't use it that often (and don't have the capability anyway on my GPS). I'll be interested to see how this all works out.

cheers,
greg

Don't know how good that would work at lower elevations. for flat landers at 800' MSL my phone works to about 7000' , sometimes...