Don

Well Known Member
Apple just announced their new iPhone and I'm not promoting it or even commenting on the non-aviation (i.e. phone, camera, and apps) parts of it.

What struck me from an aviation perspective is that it had 64 bit architecture and a separate M7 chip that is a stand alone motion sensor. Their website says the M7 chip works as an accelerometer, gyroscope, and compass, which are functions the A7 processor would normally do. I've got to say my iPhone motion sensor never impressed me enough to rely on it on the ground but this sounds like a decent step forward in processing power. That got me to thinking if the hardware is robust enough to run a mini-EFIS app, the iPhone might be able to function as a backup in case your primary EFIS failed.

This is way outside my areas of expertise, so I may be impressed by the wrong stuff...but gosh it looked promising. Now if I could just get Apple to add a couple of pitot ports, maybe we could get some good AoA apps too.<g>

What struck me from an aviation perspective is that it had 64 bit architecture and a separate M7 chip that is a stand alone motion sensor. Their website says the M7 chip works as an accelerometer, gyroscope, and compass, which are functions the A7 processor would normally do. I've got to say my iPhone motion sensor never impressed me enough to rely on it on the ground but this sounds like a decent step forward in processing power. That got me to thinking if the hardware is robust enough to run a mini-EFIS app, the iPhone might be able to function as a backup in case your primary EFIS failed.

Don, I agree it looks interesting. Lets hope they put the new chipset into a version of the iPad with a better screen for sunlight. I would buy it.

... Now if I could just get Apple to add a couple of pitot ports, maybe we could get some good AoA apps too.<g>

What you need is an AOA sensor with Bluetooth capability...and some good AOA apps!

Last edited:
iLevil doesn't measure AOA

Isnt that the Ilevil premise?

The iLevil ties in to the aircraft's pitot-static system and thus produces info from Total pressure (Pitot port ) and Static Pressure (static port). It does NOT, based on my reading of their web page, generate Angle of Attack info.

What I was suggesting was an AOA sensor without tubing or lines, just a Bluetooth signal to the iPhone 5s that would, with the appropriate app, indicate an AOA and any other info the app would generate. The AOA sensor would have to be mounted where it could both obtain a good reading in the free stream of air (without interference from aircraft structures and protuberances) and also provide a good Bluetooth signal to the iPhone 5s in the cockpit. In a single engine propeller driven plane, most Pitot tubes are mounted under the wing outboard of the propwash. Experimentation would be required to verify a good Bluetooth signal could be obtained in the cockpit. Does the aluminum wing interfere with a Bluetooth signal only ten feet away? Testing would be required. Or perhaps the AOA could be mounted on the Vertical Stab. :eek:

Most of the AOA sensors generate AOA info from partial readings of Total and Static pressure calibrated to an Angle of Attack by measuring the angle at which the Total and Static Pressures flip-flop, or begin to. Trying not to get too technical here... :)

The Bluetooth comment was just an idea...

P.S. This post is not a knock on the iLevil, which appears to be a very nice little gizmo. It appears to provide a lot of useful information. I'm just trying to say my Bluetooth comment was an idea about a very simple little AOA sensor that could provide Bluetooth signals to the iPhone 5s. Maybe it would work, maybe not. It may be like my patent application that got nowhere. In 1987, I pursued a patent on an electronic carpenter's level; one that would beep. The patent search turned up about 40 previous patents on the same thing.

Last edited: