N661DJ

Well Known Member
I have an I Pad using Foreflight, works great, however, weather is available on the ground only. Is there any way, feature, software, hardware, to get weather in the air similar to XM weather on the Garmin portables?

Not at this time.

But there are rumors of a box that will do this, and who knows? Perhaps it'll be introduced at Oshkosh.

Dave

Fly low...

I'm relegated to the wife's Cessna 150 while we work on the (her) 12 project. If ya' fly low enough - a 150 specialty - you can still get a 3G signal and access the weather pages on ForeFlight. Not entirely practical for a 'real' airplane, but it works...

Speaking on Ipad and FF, just got the XGPS150 Bluetooth GPS antenna last week. Only been up with it once, but it seems rock solid. Be sure to download the supporting (free) app that tells you it's connection status.

ram

iPad weather

I have an I Pad using Foreflight, works great, however, weather is available on the ground only. Is there any way, feature, software, hardware, to get weather in the air similar to XM weather on the Garmin portables?

If you use Wing X Pro 7 you can get ADS-B weather by purchasing their box, about the size of the smaller Zaon traffic unit and it connects to the iPad thru bluetooth. It's about a $1,000 expenditure but I don't think you have a monthly subscription fee to get the weather displays. At some point, when the ADS-B system goes nationwide, you will also get traffic display.