miyu1975

Well Known Member
For those who have iPads do you have the WiFi or WiFi + 4g. Could I make my sprint HTC phone a WiFi hotspot and use that with the new iPad WiFi at altitude?

For those who have iPads do you have the WiFi or WiFi + 4g. Could I make my sprint HTC phone a WiFi hotspot and use that with the new iPad WiFi at altitude?

You should be able to do that however telephone data will only be available sometimes while in flight. It is the same with an iPad with built-in 4G data. That data will be available often on the ground and occasionally in the air. Lower altitudes seem to work better for getting telephone data.

Above 2000' the 3G signal drops out.

There is a 3G amplifier and booster that others have installed or just plugged into a 12 volt lighter plug. It's designed for auto use in sparse areas.

Reports are that 3G up into the 10,000'+ range.

I found all the info through google.

Booster was about $150 for everything needed. Few months worth of xm subscription ;)

If you get one w/ 4g, you also get the built in GPS so that you may not need an active data feed if you download all your data before you're airborne. However, that will depend on how your application manages data.

I went this way to eliminate the need for an external GPS. Neither carrier forces you to activate and you can activate for just a month on the new iPads.

ah..so if just had the iPad with GPS and using foreflight I could download my routes and such and then all that is needed to drive that at altitude is the GPS. I guess I thought I would need a cell tower or wifi for this..but it doesn't sound like it. makes sense

The wifi plus 3G (or 4G)

is the only way to go --- and only 100 bucks more for the same gigabits -- I have a 64G but, for just flying, 16 is plenty --- 32 is a happy medium if you want to do videos, movies, books, etc.

I have a Dual bluetooth external GPS, but have never had to use it in any RV, Cessna, or Piper I have flown ---- if I end up "permanently" mounting it on the -10 tunnel, I may stick the Dual on the top of the panel.

for me...

One problem I have is the intermittent signal causes the weather radar to come and go on the foreflight map. On a recent local flight I made sure I had the current radar on the map while on the ground; this promptly disappeared shortly after takeoff.

Not a huge deal as it was just a short local flight and I could see where it was raining by looking out the canopy. But, it seems like displaying a radar map a few minutes out date would be better than displaying nothing at all.

Maybe it's a setting somewhere in foreflight...

iPad

Ryan,
Position is reported from the internal or external GPS. The 3G or 4G comes with the internal GPS which works well. I have to move it closer to the glare shield on occation so it can see the sky and pick up the satelites. That is in a 172 so a RV would be no problem. Internal GPS seems much better than using an external and having to worry about it's battery and signal.
I use mine mostly for flight planning and weather on the ground and filing IFR flight plans and briefings.
All of the sectionals, IFR charts, airport directories and approach charts are all loaded in advance while on the ground and connected to Wi-Fi or 3G.
I loose 3G at about 3000' as others have said but you only loose weather since everything else in preloaded.
This all assumes you are using Foreflight.

Off topic, I noticed you used hinges on your wing tips.
Any comments good or bad, techniques? Would you do it again and if so do you remember which size hinge you used? Width and thickness?
Thanks, looks like you are getting close.

I am using the new IPad 4g with Wing X Pro 7 and the AHRS for SV, works very well in the 172. it reads with in 1 NM per hr next to the Garmin 430. and you can simulate a flight on the couch with sectinal chart or google earth.

I'm using Foreflight

It works very well on an older Ipad 1. I'm getting Stratus for sure. The usual issue talked about is screen brightness. I find it usable, though sometimes with the sun on it just barely so. Most times it is ok. I did have an interesting thing happen the other day. I was flying north west to Buffalo, NY from Long Island in the morning. The sun was directly behind me and shining right on the Ipad. It over-heated an shutdown. It was not because I was using it. It was only the sun's heat. Even with it off for a half hour it was still too hot to run. We had to pop it out of the mount and lay it down on the floor to cool off, then it was fine. The next time I had the sun on it I covered the screen with a cloth when I wasn't using it. I think I need to direct the vent on it when the sun is hitting it.

Above 2000' the 3G signal drops out.

There is a 3G amplifier and booster that others have installed or just plugged into a 12 volt lighter plug. It's designed for auto use in sparse areas.

Reports are that 3G up into the 10,000'+ range.

I found all the info through google.

Booster was about $150 for everything needed. Few months worth of xm subscription ;)

Rhino, could you provide links? Probably not very necessary, but for that price may be worth it for the weather.