APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I have a new iPad 3 - wifi only - 16G. I flew with it in bright FL sun from 1000 hrs to 1200 hrs over Central Fl (Cocoa Beach area). My aircraft is a RV8 with a Todd max tint canopy. I don't have my pad fixed to the airframe. Rather I use it like a paper map and keep it stuck in a side pocket or a footwell when not in use. There was no issue with seeing the screen clearly. Yes if you hold it just right you can get a specular reflection but you can do that with a ham sandwich also. I am most pleased with the iPad performance when using it in a gps referenced moving map mode.
Don

No on the internal gps

Does the wifi only iPad 3 have a built in gps?

Only the 3g/4g units have the built in gps but my wifi only unit has a feature that when connected to the net allows it to locate itself. Of no utility to aviation however.
I haven't paid any attention to it because I wanted a remote antenna and chose the DUAL (red dot) system (~$99). The reason is that I don't want to have to keep the iPad in a position enabling it to see the satellites. As I said I like to stuff it out of the way when I?m not using it.
Don

bluetooth gps

What are good Bluetooth gps's?

I am aware of two: Bad Elf and DUAL. I bought the DUAL based on a demo flight using the system. Everything about it (and the iPad) is easy. That is, easy to set up; easy to use.
Don

I am aware of two: Bad Elf and DUAL. I bought the DUAL based on a demo flight using the system. Everything about it (and the iPad) is easy. That is, easy to set up; easy to use.
Don

The Bad Elf GPS does not use Bluetooth. It must be physcially plugged into the port on the bottom of the iOS device. I've got one, but never liked the somewhat flimsy USB connector on the Bad ELF, as you need to plug into that if you want to power the iOS device while using the Bad ELF GPS.

I bought a Dual Bluetooth GPS at SNF, and like it much, much better than my Bad ELF.

On my recent trip to Sun N Fun the built in gps on my new Ipad III worked much better then that of my original Ipad I. It seems to capture the signal faster and never lost the signal as the older version did occasionally. I have the unit strapped to my leg and use it for flight planning, current charts, maps etc. It is not, nor will be, my primary gps unit, but based on that flight experience I can see no need to have an external antennae.
It does generate more heat then the original and although the sunlight readability is not perfect it is an improvement over the first Ipad.

My wife recently bought me a Ipad3. I think the fact I was using her Ipad2 in the aircraft convinced her to get me one of my own. The difference in the screen brightness is marginal at best. I have compared them side by side. The 3 is still difficult for me to see in bright sunlight. I have mine mounted on the instrument panel right side using a ram mount. In general I have noticed that those that have them on their legs or lower in the cockpit are happier with the screen issue. The ability to move the unit to effect viewing angle or get it shaded makes a big difference. I still like having it in the aircraft but the new model did not do much to fix the the issue of screen brightness in direct sunlight.
Now does anyone know if there is a way to have the map presentation in foreflight oriented to track up rather then N up?

George