RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I'm looking at getting an iPad 2. Thinking of the 32, middle of the road. My question, the Wi-Fi only version is $600. The Wi-Fi + 3G is $729. Is it worth the extra money to have the ability to "turn on" the 3G through my cell service at some time?

Oh, it is basically going to be a toy. I'll probably get WingX Pro 7 for sectionals and stuff but I've got plenty of electronics in the plane already.

Definately

Yes it is. The 3G version has a GPS installed. The Wifi does not. If you want
geo-referenced charts to work witht he wifi only version, you will need to buy
a GPS dongle like the Bad Elf.

the 32 GB version is a good choice. I have 16 GB and it is ok, but requires
memory management.

You will love the iPad. I don't take my laptop when traveling any more.
Great book reader too!

Besides the gps, I still like to have the 3G capability on occasion, but you will have to evaluate how often you will want to use your iPad when there is no wifi available but there is cell service. For me, I only pay for the months subscription when I am on vacation, and it sees some use in the car, or perhaps at a camp site. That's enough for me to want to have the capability.
Erich

3G = yep

Glad I got the 3G I know I would be kicking myself had I not. GPS works fine nice to be able to get info any time you want. I have the iPad 1 with 32 gig and it is OK. I have forerflight, wingX, flight guide with charts for all the lower 48 and a bunch of other apps still have about 11 gig left. Going to decide what flying app I like best on trip to OSH this year. Trouble they all have things I like and things I do not. Right now I am liking wingX the best.

Is it worth the extra money to have the ability to "turn on" the 3G through my cell service at some time?

The GPS does not need the 3G connection to work. And if you don't have the 3G model, there's no GPS without an external dongle.

I've found that 3G is worth having. There's plenty of spots that have 3G but not wi-fi.

Dave

There are still plenty of original IPads out there for much less. Something to consider.

I have The 32Gig 3G and it has way more memory than I will ever need.

The 3G service is all activated via the IPad and you can start and stop it at will. No long term contracts. It is nice to have when you need it.

It has been nice having the IPad. I just wish I had had it when I was doing my Instrument training.

Last edited:
Many smartphones allow Tethering. This is an option if you need to use the iPad away from wifi. I have the wifi-only version tethered to my iPhone via MyWi and it works like a charm and saves a lot of money.

You have a few options if money is a concern:
You can buy a external GPS (bad Elf) for $100 or less which is suppose to work much better but it is external.
You can tether using your smart phone (I am using my IPhone) if you already have one with a data plan and avoid paying twice for the few times you are going to use GS network.

I'd strangle recommend the iPad 3G. Having the integrated GPS is a huge benefit in convenience and "uncluttered cockpits". If money is the deciding factor you can save a littl by going with a 16gb. You can save a lot by going with the iPad 1.

<inser standard disclaimers, ymmv, jmho, etc>

Tethering things to your iPad

I don't know where you guys are that are recommending tethering to your ipad, didn't take the time to read your location. Anyway, in Texas, AT&T charges you $45 extra for tethering, on top of buying that GPS dongle! No way, pay the little bit more and get you a 3G iPad. I did and am still very happy, even in the 107 degree cockpit heat today the iPad fired right up and brought up Wing X Pro. I love it!

I don't know where you guys are that are recommending tethering to your ipad, didn't take the time to read your location. Anyway, in Texas, AT&T charges you $45 extra for tethering, on top of buying that GPS dongle! No way, pay the little bit more and get you a 3G iPad. I did and am still very happy, even in the 107 degree cockpit heat today the iPad fired right up and brought up Wing X Pro. I love it!

I suspect most folks have jailbreaked their iphone, then there is an inexpensive application available for tethering that AT&T doesn't detect. You pay for whatever data plan your iphone has.

Bob's got it. $20 one time fee for MyWi and all the tethering you can handle. jB is the only way to go for the iPhone.

jb an iphone

Bob's got it. $20 one time fee for MyWi and all the tethering you can handle. jB is the only way to go for the iPhone.

And according to AT&T, your warranty just went down the tube. No thanks, I have a two year contract and if anything goes wrong, I want them to fix it or replace it. They won't do that it you've jb'd it, according to them.

Other options

There are multiple options, I do not know about the 3G in the ipad which is probably different than the phone but AT&T 3G phone coverage sucks outside major city areas which happens to be where I mostly fly my RV (last weekend, ten killer lake, no reception). Also if you go for the "official" phone tethering option with AT&T you get charged and give up your unlimited iphone data plan (if you have an iphone).
I ended up getting the 32mb wifi ipad which I jailbroke to get the blutooth stack and use my existing garmin BT gps. I also have a verizon MiFi which lets me use wifi with my laptop, AT&T iphone and ipad pretty much wherever I go in the US, no long term contract at $35/month.
Net result is you have a number of choices.

Using phone "hotspot"

You have a few options if money is a concern:
You can buy a external GPS (bad Elf) for $100 or less which is suppose to work much better but it is external.
You can tether using your smart phone (I am using my IPhone) if you already have one with a data plan and avoid paying twice for the few times you are going to use GS network.

With the Verizon Droid's, activating the wifi "hotspot" costs above and beyond the phone's data plan, so that route is not cheaper. Subscribing to a data plan via the iPad can be started and canceled using the iPad directly. You can also check on the iPad at any time how much data you've used. Otherwise you have to CALL Verizon to stop a hotspot data plan.

Glad I got the 3G I know I would be kicking myself had I not. GPS works fine nice to be able to get info any time you want. I have the iPad 1 with 32 gig and it is OK. I have forerflight, wingX, flight guide with charts for all the lower 48 and a bunch of other apps still have about 11 gig left. Going to decide what flying app I like best on trip to OSH this year. Trouble they all have things I like and things I do not. Right now I am liking wingX the best.

I second this motion. I bought the 3G iPad v1 for the GPS and built-in accelerometer. I've never turned on the 3G connection, I just make sure my charts are up to date before leaving home.

I also bought an Apple TV ($99) recently and LOVE the functionality provided by the interaction between it, my iPad and my Macbook. I still use Windows for some things (right now typing this) but most stuff at home is now Mac.

FWIW - I quit paying for cell phone / smart phone warranties. I simply buy a replacement phone on craigslist. So far I've only gotten burned once and that was just for $10. That sure beats the heck out of the monthly cost of maintenance plans.

3G is carrier specific

When you buy one you have to pick AT&T or Verizon. Different wireless types I guess. I've got the 3G and wouldn't trade the iPad for anything. Highly recommended. All the av aps plus all the pictures from vacation on the same screen.

Bill

Wireless Types?

When you buy one you have to pick AT&T or Verizon. Different wireless types I guess. I've got the 3G and wouldn't trade the iPad for anything. Highly recommended. All the av aps plus all the pictures from vacation on the same screen.

Bill

Never heard of this requirement. In my travels I have picked up wifi from numerous FBO's and have never had a problem. I don't have a data plan and wasn't told at time of purchase about any difference. I'm an AT&T customer as far as my iphone goes but for wifi I've never heard of different formats. I'm sure all the FBO's aren't on AT&T!

what Brantel said

That dang wireless phone thing is what I was referring to that uses the 3rd generation of digital cellular technology. I should have said two different 3G (or whatever) systems.

Last edited:
yep, me too

I also have the Garmin Pilot My-Cast. Each app has things I like & things I don't like. I, too, am liking WingX best overall. When I get a chance, I plan to make a list of pros and cons of each. We'll see what works best getting to OSH.

Clarity

That dang wireless phone thing is what I was referring to that uses the 3rd generation of digital cellular technology. I should have said two different 3G (or whatever) systems.

Bill,

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think there was any difference in wireless access, only need the right password.

Thanks again,

Mike

Bill,

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think there was any difference in wireless access, only need the right password.

Thanks again,

Mike

There is a big difference in how Verizon and AT&T provide 3G service to the Ipad. That is one reason why you can't get an original Ipad in a Verizon model and why they are two different versions of 3G Ipad 2's.

Here is one explaination of the difference.

As for the WIFI, there are many different flavors of that as well but the Ipad is Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) compatible so that covers most of what you might try to use.

Here is an explaination of all the flavors available...

Last edited: