N804RV

Well Known Member
Anyone moved up from an iPad Air 2 to an iPad Pro? Is the readability in sunlight that much better?

I've been using an Air 2 for a couple of years now. And, most of the time, its fine here in the PNW. But, in direct sunlight, its marginal at best. Even when I put on polarized sunglasses and turn the iPad to coincide with the polarization, its still pretty washed out and hard to read.

I'm considering buying used D100/D120 for cockpit glass and just using iPad for moving map. If the retina display makes that big a difference, that would just about clinch it for me.

Air 2 vs 9.7 iPad

I use the older iPad Air 2 with Garmin Pilot and recently bought the newer 9.7 inch iPad for my wife. I think the Air 2 is better. Brighter. Clearer.
Mounted on yoke of my Cherokee. Haven't finished my RV yet.

I am interested in this as well.
Googling ipad nits get this info.

“Maximum Brightness, from 415 cd/m2 (nits) for the iPad Air 2”
Ref http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_2015_ShootOut_1.htm

“iPad Pro 9.7in (2016): 9.7 inches (diagonal), 2048 × 1536, 264ppi, 4:3, 60MHz refresh rate, 511 nits brightness (tested)
iPad Pro 10.5in (2017): 10.5 inches (diagonal), 2224 x 1668, 264ppi, 4:3, 120MHz refresh rate, 600 nits brightness (claimed)”
Ref https://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ipad/ipad-pro-105in-2017-vs-ipad-pro-97in-2016-3660078/

2018 iPad 9.7 (not Pro)
“The iPad's panel delivered 489 nits of brightness”
Ref https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/apple-ipad-9-7-inch

What that means in real world cockpit I cannot tell as I have not compared them. As said above the various anti reflective coatings may also make a difference.

Last edited:
Anyone moved up from an iPad Air 2 to an iPad Pro? Is the readability in sunlight that much better?

I've been using an Air 2 for a couple of years now. And, most of the time, its fine here in the PNW. But, in direct sunlight, its marginal at best. Even when I put on polarized sunglasses and turn the iPad to coincide with the polarization, its still pretty washed out and hard to read.

I'm considering buying used D100/D120 for cockpit glass and just using iPad for moving map. If the retina display makes that big a difference, that would just about clinch it for me.

Ken they all suck in direct sunlight. Consumer electronics not aviation applications. I use Pro daily as a moving map and I often change angles in the cockpit. It's an excellent reference and helps with navigation tremendously.

IPad Pro Sunlight

2qch6rk.jpg

I have been satisfied with the IPad Pro. Can read it as well as the other displays

I bought the new iPad with the improved display when they first came out. I was always dissatisfied with the iPad?s display in my -7 as it was just not bright enough. The new one is great and it is perfectly fine in normal sunlight.

I bought the new iPad with the improved display when they first came out. I was always dissatisfied with the iPad?s display in my -7 as it was just not bright enough. The new one is great and it is perfectly fine in normal sunlight.

What model number do you have ( from back cover)? Is it the A1675?

I'm curious if you guys who don't find the visibility acceptable have tried anti-glare screen protectors. I find they work great.

Ken they all suck in direct sunlight. Consumer electronics not aviation applications. I use Pro daily as a moving map and I often change angles in the cockpit. It's an excellent reference and helps with navigation tremendously.

Ken,
I recently started using the Samsung Galaxy S3 tab and find it to be perfectly easy to read in any lighting conditions in my RV-6. You should check it out.