rv8or

Well Known Member
I fly an RV-3 (I know, lucky me). When I started flying the RV3 I brought an IPAD mini to run that excellent nav program Skydemon. When I brought the mini Ipad you could not buy a kneepad mount so I made my own. Basically I purchased a car windscreen mount and modified it. I used the IPAD mount of the car mount that I joined to a leg pad and strap. To clip the IPAD into the mount took a little bit of force as the car mount gripped it really tightly.

I had a few drop outs of the gps signal and nav function that required a powerdown and reboot. I wondered what was causing it. On one flight it happened twice in ten minutes. Then as they say the penny dropped and the light came on in the grey cells.
I removed it from the mount and all was well.
This next statement is purely conjecture on my part. I suspect that some of the internal connections of the IPAD mini are made by connections pressing from one cct to another and are held secure by the pressure of the assembled product. The tight mount I suspect was flexing the IPAD which resulted in a poor internal connection.(It was hard to get into and out of the mount)

It has been six months since I stopped using that mount and I have not had another failure.

I have since brought a commercially available knee ipad mount that holds it flat and clips in with hardly any force and have not had a failure.

One other point
Skydemon and IPAD mini are made for each other.

Happy Building and Flying
Rob
RV-3 Bought Flying
RV8 Very veeeeeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy slow build

Ipad mount

Have you considered overheating. I'm told that's a drawback with using kneeboards. however. I use one and have never lost the signal. Just repeating what others have warned me about.... Hope it helps.