n144sh

Well Known Member
As you know, there isn't a lot of panel (or other) space in the RV-4. I really wanted to have a secure mounting for my iPad but had to get a bit creative.

What I decided was a pull out mount. In the retracted position it only takes maybe 1 inch by 9 inches on the bottom of the panel.

For boarding and unboarding the iPad rests on a tray above battery tunnel (just happens to fit very nicely even though it was built 10 years ago!).

Once seated, the mount pulls out. The bars are bent such that it also comes down a bit for a good angle. The iPad in a Griffin grip-Vue case rests on the two bars and is tensioned slightly between the front angle and a piece of foam rubber on the panel. It also is pinned below the Dynon D10 on the panel. It is actually quite secure. For clearance, there is about 3 or 4 inches from the top of the stick to the mount and it doesn't interfere with where your arms normally rest or in any movement.

In flight, skycharts works great! (Thanks Heikki). I flew today for about an hour and had perfect GPS reception (64G 3G model, 3G turned on).

I'm really happy how this turned out. The angle does have a lot of light falling on it, but it is easy to shade slightly with your left hand and see very clearly even at 1/2 brightness. It would be nice to have a more vertical mount, but in the RV-4 it would take up 1/2 the panel and there aren't a lot of options. Overall, a very useful addition both on the ground and in the air. I highly recommend GoodReader/Nacomatic for AFD and plates. Skycharts for VFR sectionals.

I'm happy.

Steve
N144SH
RV-4

2kgbbq.jpg

1znspjm.jpg

260txyx.jpg

Steve,

That is a great idea...thanks for sharing. Yeah, space is at a premium in the 4s. Hmmm, gives me ideas.

Exactly what makes this forum so beneficial.

I feel a donation coming in June Doug.

Thanks again Steve...how about some more posts the longer you use it??? You might have some thoughts for improvement or doing a little differently as hours build.

Deal Fair
34CB (RV-4) (getting new paint)
George West, TX (8T6)

ipad

Hi
I've been wondering about the ipad as well. Is the internal GPS antenna enough? I'm running a Motion tablet with Flight soft and I've had problems with it getting too hot. Is heat an issue with the ipad? Does it have a cooling fan? (Motion LS800 does not!)
Thanks,

I have only flown with it once for about an hour and the gps reception was fine. I have flown quite a bit with my iPhone running Skycharts. With the iphone gps reception has always worked well, the issue has been battery life. Even with a charger plugged in it would drain the battery on the iphone. If I turned off 3g, wifi, and edge then it helps considerably on battery life on the iphone. I am optimistic with the ipad battery it will be much better but will see.

I will post again after more flights. The issue I see with this setup is the nearly horizontal position gives poor visibility from the sunlight. It is relatively easy to shade with your hand and see, but if you can find a way to make it more vertical it would be a lot better. The screen brightness seems quite comparable to the av8or ace I have and it is fine in a vertical panel mount.

Heat may be a problem in the summer. There have been reports of ipads overheating in the direct sunlight. This mount does expose the back and I have an air vent that could blow almost directly on it so I am hoping that is sufficient. There isn't any active fans or cooling in the iPad.

From a value standpoint, even the 64gb 3G version at $829 with another $20 for Skycharts pro is a great deal for what it does. Plus it is really handy as a general purpose tool for email, web browsing etc. I am posting this from the iPad.

N144sh
RV-4

I think an anti-glare screen cover will be a requirement. I have not received it yet but in a review of seven anti-glare covers this one was rated the best: Powersupport H0973LL/A iPad Anti-Glare Film

My limited experience with the GPS in the 3G unit has been very good. You are correct, if left in direct sunlight with no air flow the unit will shut down, but then it comes back as soon as it cools down.

There is a mounting base for the Motion 800 tablet that has a cooling fan built in it ( email me and I will check the manufacture if interested ).

Tommy: I for one would like to know who makes the LS800 base with cooling fan you are talking about.

Thanks,

Lee...

Nicely done

I was thinking of a similar arrangement for my Kindle DX. Glad to hear it works well!

The Kindle has an electronic paper display, so sunlight readability won't be an issue.

I don't have a -4 but i've been in them and know how little spare space there is in the cockpit. What about a slight modification to this pull-out arrangement, how about having it pull out horizontal, but looking at the *back* of the iPad, and then flipping it up vertically to sit in front of the other two glass panels? Good for pull-out, check chart, pan around a bit, then lower it again and stow it.

Kind of like the in-dash DVD-players that they make for cars, if that helps it make sense.