SmittysRV

Well Known Member
I bought the iPad and am using Foreflight in my C172. Luv it! When I finish my RV-9A, I want to use it, but I went flying with a buddy of mine who has an RV-7A. We found that there is isn't room for it when strapped to my knee. With my panel layout, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put without covering up my other instruments.

Then I went to an EAA Chapter Leadership conference in Oshkosh last weekend and talked with an RV-7A pilot about how he does it. He told me that uses a leg strap that allows him slide the iPad over to the side of his leg when he is taking off or landing. He then pulls the iPad back over his thigh for straight and level flight. I forgot to ask him (duh) which knee strap he uses. Any thoughts or product recommendations on this?

Smitty,

I'll confess to having "given up" on using my iPad in-flight. Of course, I have an RV-8 with lass cockpit pace than. -7.

I tried a couple different kneeboard options and a ram mount in two different locations. In he end therecwere too many negatives - a bit too big; glare problems (even with the anti-glare screen protector); and I really want a gps that will drive an autopilot.

Don't get me wrong, I love the iPad for flight planning and use ForeFlight all the time. The iPad is in the cockpit. I just don't use it as a primary device anymore.

Last edited:
Hello Smitty,

I too have found myself fumbling with my IPAD in flight. I have a RAM mount to the panel, but it's not perfect. I find that more than anywhere I use it in my lap when looking at it, then just let it roll to the side when not. It actually works well this way in a side by side RV. I like the strap thingy that the previous poster has. I might get one of those.

Alternative

Using an Android - it's a bit smaller than IPad but size works fine. Software would probably be either Naviator or Avilution. I've tried both - they're good (personally, prefer Naviator).

Strap

I use this strap that I purchased at Aircraft Spruce that advertise here on VAF and would not be without it. I use to purchase al my charts at MyPilotStore.com but since the iPad, I only get the L3-4, Local Sectional, TAC, and Local WAC charts from them as the iPad has replaced them.

I have never used the iPad as primary navigation. I do not believe that the iPad was ever intended as Primary navigation. I have an approached certified GPS and a 396 as backup. The iPad is only chart and paper replacement in my cockpit. The strap is comfortable and I have been known to sit the iPad on the extra seat beside me when I am not looking at it or not on an IFR approach.

myclip i-pad holder

I bought a MyClip for my ipad at Oshkosh and have found it very usable in my RV8 for most operations. I still carry my primary and alternate approach plates just to be sure. Using Skychartpro bought through the istore; it is the best value available in my opinion. $20.00/year! The only downside is that it is extremely slow to load the monthly updates. Speed can be improved by limiting the charts selected, though. Skychartpro customer support is very good, too.

....Using Skychartpro bought through the istore; it is the best value available in my opinion. $20.00/year! The only downside is that it is extremely slow to load the monthly updates. Speed can be improved by limiting the charts selected, though. Skychartpro customer support is very good, too.

Ditto with good experience with SkyCharts Pro.

Dave

IPAD In RV7

I installed a 1" ball for the Ram mount just to the right of my radio stack. With the adjustable arm, you can usually find a position that works for you and or your passenger/Sun/glare ect. Although I have a primary GPS, the large screen on the IPAD with Foreflight is great.

Greg, Louisville KY
RV7 N773PF