billnaz

Well Known Member
Here are my findings after the first flight using my brand new Ipad with Foreflight app. I was hoping it would be on the trip to OSH but that ain't happening this year for me, which is a major bummer. Instead I did a brunch run to sedona and payson (sedona's resteraunt is closed for renovation by the way!). Payson is a convenient alternative for you transients. Anyway;

Foreflight- Quantum leap! Really, a game changer. Seventyfive bucks a year for basically everything you need to fly but the airplane. I made the decision to invest in the Ipad package after pricing the cost of buying all the charts I'd need for the osh run (which would have been obsolete in a week). Last night Foreflight down loaded the updates for the whole country while I slept! My one time garmin/jeppison update cost $380!! That's got to change. "but it's TSOed"- rubbish I say!

iPad readability- ok, nothing is perfect. Not enough nits. Not a total disqualifyer though, just a compromise. Similar to the compromise I made when I decided not to upgrade to the brighter Dynon screen. The Ipad is great in the shade, and readable in direct sun. With the sun full overhead I had to shade the screen with my hand to read it. Though not ideal, I've decided I can live with it. The pros far out weigh the cons with the Ipad.

Hot unit- here's my one concern. After brunch sitting on the floor of the plane covered with my hat the Ipad wouldn't run. It said it was over heated. I need to get some more flights in to decide if this is a real problem. Basicly summers in AZ suck! I'm going to bring the Ipad with me when I go to the resteraunt for now. At least I can check my Email while I eat! I couldn't do that with my Anywhere Map PDA!

Overall impression of the Ipad/Foreflight package- the best deal in GA as far as I can tell!

The Skycharts app is only $20/yr if I remember correctly, and thats the one I have. Does Foreflight give you something more that makes it worth the extra $55?

erich

I have not used Sky charts myself but have seen it in action and demo and ForeFlight is much more capable app. The extra $55 is definitely worth it for me by a long shot. I specially like the new additions in the version 3.6 that just came out.

App jungle

Ain't competition great! Frankly I never got past Foreflight. Seems like eventually they'll all be $3.99 apps. Whatever you pick as your software the platform is the game changer.

The Skycharts app is only $20/yr if I remember correctly, and thats the one I have. Does Foreflight give you something more that makes it worth the extra $55?

erich

Erich,

I too have only used ForeFlight and am extremely pleased with it and thus have not bothered to look at any other apps. However, ForeFlight gives you 30 days free with no app charge, I would suggest you try it for 30 days and I'm pretty sure you'll want to keep it. The $75 per year is a subscription fee for the charts, at least that's the way I look at it. Downloads are pretty much automatic once you set up what you want. This latest version is really something with the flight planning capabilities. Go to their site and check out the video of version 3.6, no audio by the way. Hope this gives you some insight.

ForeFlight gives you 30 days free with no app charge, I would suggest you try it for 30 days and I'm pretty sure you'll want to keep it. The $75 per year is a subscription fee for the charts, at least that's the way I look at it. Downloads are pretty much automatic once you set up what you want. This latest version is really something with the flight planning capabilities. Go to their site and check out the video of version 3.6, no audio by the way. Hope this gives you some insight.

Ok, free trial sounds good so thanks for the heads up on that. But if you are hanging your hat on charts subscriptions, Im getting that for $20 now and am able to input a flight plan showing multi-segmented lines on the chart, check METARS/TAFs, look at the AFD etc pretty easily. Guess I cant offer you a free 30 day trial though, so you may have me there. Now Im gonna take the $35 I saved and buy some Avgas :)

erich

Over heating....Yes

I had the same problem this weekend. After I got in the plane and fired up my iPad, it declared that it was overheated and shutdown. I flew for 15 minutes before it cooled down enough to work.

I had to rely on the other two GPS/moving maps.:eek:

Kent

Overheating problem with the iPad?

Kent,

I've had the same issue with the iPad here in Florida a couple of times. This is the one major drawback for using the iPad as an EFB, in my opinion. However, I have learned to manage the problem by keeping the iPad out of the sun, using the Koger shade, etc. I stay ahead of it by keeping one of the vents blowing on it. Still, not a good issue to have to worry about. I really think they'll have to fix this before we are going to have widespread use as an EFB. I get the feeling that they are perhaps a little too aggressive with the temperature setting and maybe a software update may be the fix, just a guess.

This overheating issue is not during use, right? Just if it's left cooking in an airplane or car?

The overheating issue does apply doing use. I have had the same troubles. The Ipad does not seem to like the Arizona sun.

I have been using both foreflight and skycharts. I tend to like the ease of use of skycharts for things such as opening and viewing charts and approach plates. I feel like foreflight has more information and is a more viable flight planning option. Both are fantastic options and you really can't go wrong with either. I'll have a hard time deciding which to use once the one year subscription I have for both is up.

I bought the wifi only version and have it jailbroken so I can use an old bluetooth gps receiver that I have. I also have my iphone jailbroken and can use an application called mywi to share the data plan with the ipad.

All in all, the Ipad does everything I want it to do aside from this overheating issue. My original intent is to use it for approach plates but I have to admit, I will bringing paper copies wherever I plan to fly if it will be on an instrument flight plan. I do hope they are able to offer a software update to allow higher temps before it shuts off but I'm not holding my breath.

Dittos, I have had the iPad lock up both in use and while sitting on the ramp. But, as I said, once you recognize the problem you can manage it OK.

Trying both

I have both, Foreflight (trying for 3 months) and SkyCharts. I used both
on a trip from Chino to West Yellowstone and back this past weekend.
Because my route took me over both Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, I used
SkyCharts more often because it has TAC charts. I did run into an issue
where I accidentaly began a chart download on Skycharts that would not
stop. Haven't figured out all the ins and outs of either. I do like the airport
info on Foreflight over Skycharts, more like the little brown book. Skycharts
seemed to load and find itself faster. The jury is still out for me. I didn't
open a paper chart on the entire trip. With a Garmin 560 and the
iPad/Foreflight/SkyCharts don't know you would need anything else.
Don't use the flight planning or weather on either. For preflight planning and
weather nothing beats (IMHO) Weathermeister and XM weather inflight.
The trip took 5 hours each way, and the iPad battery was at 50%+ after
each day. No issues on battery life even for an 8 hour flight day (i have
an auto power cord just in case). The iPad although not perfect in direct sunlight is easily readable.

Last edited: