humptybump

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

Over the next 30 days I will be putting both an iPad Air and a Nexus 7 (generation 2) through their paces using Garmin Pilot App standalone and with a GDL 39.

I'll do my best to test as many of the common thread topics - usability, viability, accuracy, etc.

All testing will be VFR. Since the software will be the same on both devices I will only make note of differences. I will not be comparing Garmin Pilot to other software (even though I am a ForeFlight user at the moment).

Feel free to post questions or suggestions of things you would like me to test. I will do the best I can.

At the end of the test, I will update this post so the first post has the results. I will also make an entry at the bottom of the thread.

Test Hardware:

Apple iPad Air, 32GB, T-Mobile SIM (no active cellular contract)
Google / ASUS Nexus 7 (2013 Gen2 model), 32GB RAM, no cellular support​

Both tablets have the Tech Armor anti-glare screen protector.

Last edited:
This should be interesting. I run Garmin Pilot on a 1st gen Nexus 7, and I'm very happy with it, but I understand the app is a bit more mature on iOS.

It would cost nothing to try FltPlan Go at the same time. The software is free, the maps are free.

Hi Rob, I think there are a lot of possible test plans. I won't have the necessary time to expand my test plan beyond Garmin Pilot on two different devices.

I hope others - who have the necessary resource - will consider doing a similar A-B testing.

Last edited: