Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
This morning I turned on the iPad to do some route planning on ForeFlight, and the unit went to a screen I have never seen before-----blank white with a message about "Activation Required" or some such nonsense.

This iPad has been activated for years, and I used it earlier in the morning.

After trying to follow the on screen directions, with no joy, I have decided it is time to ask the VAF brain trust;

iPad 2 no idea what version of the os I currently have.

1. What is going on, and

2. What do I do about it??

Any help appreciated.

Mike

Last edited:
caution

Watching for the members to reply. There are so many ways to get hacked these days. Power down and wait to see what is mentioned here would be smart. I have not EVER had that on an ipad. I have had the "noisy... blue screen of death... call us immediately for virus removal" on other platforms. It got ugly when my wife gave them our credit card number.

What ios version?

Mike,
Could it be something like this?

http://appadvice.com/post/apple-rel...9-3-to-fix-activation-glitch-on-ipad-2/708737

If so, what ios version are you running? You could try hooking the device up to iTunes on your pc/mac and trying to upgrade the ios version. Perhaps someone else would have more information but it sounds like the problem above.

What happens when you actually type your icloud credentials into the screen (assuming this is not a webpage but instead an actual apple screen on the device)

Jeff-------that may be what is going on, as I just downloaded whatever the new updates that keep popping up on the screen were. this was one or two days ago, and the iPad worked fine after the update----until this morning that is.

As far as recovering via the computer and iTunes-------to the best of my knowledge this iPad has never been hooked up to my computer, thus I have doubts there is anything there to recover.

No idea of what ios version i am running. No idea of any iCloud credentials---------never used icloud to the best of my knowledge.

Nick, pretty sure this is an internal problem of the iPad----not ransomware of some kind.

Last edited:
Contact apple support, I bet they will be able to help. What I meant was actually to upgrade the ios version from the pc, not do a recovery. But of course I think you need to know what your appleid and credentials are. Have support call you, they are pretty good.

My iPad 2 is now getting annoyingly frequent pop-ups asking that I log into my iTunes account after the last iOS update.

Could it be the same sort of message, but you don't have an iTunes account, so it's getting upset?

Got it :D

Well, the trophy goes to Jeff------his link in post 3 got me to the right area, and one of the other links in there took me to the solution. Only took three attempts:mad:

Thanks for the help:D