asav8tor

Well Known Member
Tested SkyChartsPro and AeroCharts

SkyChartsPro, allows you to download NOS plates, has scans of low IFR charts, Sectionals, and Terminal area charts. BUT..... it didn't work..... the app seems to hang up and display the position in the wrong location, erroneous data, etc.

AeroCharts, does NOT allow you to download the NOS plates into memory but DOES download a map built for the device. While this map does not have all the data a sectional contains, it is significantly easier to read. Another important item is the verbiage is always right side up, where with a scanned chart it is only up if you are flying in a northerly direction (assuming you are flying track up). The GPS performance was 100% on with this app.

In both cases you must initialize the app BEFORE moving out of range of cell or wifi. After that the GPS will function with no cell or wifi. It seems the GPS will not initialize without a cell or wifi position. It also appears you DO NOT have to purchase any 3G data to get the GPS initialized using 3G.

Have you had a chance to check out the ForeFlight Mobile 3 HD app? Similar to SkyChartsPro, and the app is free for the first 30 days. After that you have to pay the subscription rates, but at least it's free to try out for comparison purposes.

On the other hand, this guy has apparently been having success with
SkyChartsPro although so far on the WiFi version only:

http://aviationmentor.blogspot.com/search/label/Electronic Flight Bag

Check out the video.

Last edited:
I tried the fore flight demo. It seems to be just a display of the charts with no GPS moving map data? The demo does not let you download all the charts. The app does appear to be much further along in development than the others. If it had the moving map/GPS data displayed I would buy it.

Very interesting......

Did I understand the price on SkyChartPro? Only 19.95 with a years worth of charts. I must be mistaking.

Kent

I tried the fore flight demo. It seems to be just a display of the charts with no GPS moving map data? The demo does not let you download all the charts. The app does appear to be much further along in development than the others. If it had the moving map/GPS data displayed I would buy it.

According to this post over on the AOPA forums, it shows a blue dot at your location on the map (screen shots of this over on the AOPA post, also).

Sorry, there is a slight problem with SkyChartsPro.
In order to use it offline, please turn WIFI&3G OFF (of course AFTER you have cached the charts you need) and it will work just fine.
(its trying to probe for network connectivity).

Seems to be some problem from the wifi iPad to the 3G version.
It will be fixed soon.

Neither wifi nor 3G is necessary for the GPS to work.
Do NOT turn on airplane mode, it still seems to disable the GPS.

Tested SkyChartsPro and AeroCharts

SkyChartsPro, allows you to download NOS plates, has scans of low IFR charts, Sectionals, and Terminal area charts. BUT..... it didn't work..... the app seems to hang up and display the position in the wrong location, erroneous data, etc.

Nope. That's the price.. Do I hear calls for a higher price ? ;)

Did I understand the price on SkyChartPro? Only 19.95 with a years worth of charts. I must be mistaking.

Kent

Last edited:
Well I got mine.

Heikki, I tried out my iPad and SkyChartPro on a trip this last weekend.
Weather didn't allow flying so we were driving. The app worked great while on the road. I have the GPS version of iPad.
The one thing that didn't work as I expected is as my plane icon moved the map didn't shift to keep it centered. I let if fly right off the edge of the chart until it disappeared.
Is there a setting that I need to change or is this just the way it works?

Kent

Kent,

tap on the GPS symbol on the left and you will get a 'lock' on the symbol.
The map will now stay centered until you do some other gesture (zooming, panning).

FWIW, the GPS *should* function without wifi or cell at startup. The difference is that it will take longer to lock in on your position if neither are present. It uses wifi/cell for the initial fix, and the GPS to refine. If only GPS is available, it'll use it, but it takes longer for the first lock.