Larco

Well Known Member
I am confused. Apple says that even though the 3G network is not activated, triangulation between cell towers is used for what I thought was an actual GPS signal. They say that the Ipad 2 does not really have a GPS chip in it and strictly relies on cell towers for the location services. My IPAD 2 seems to always be on track when flying regardless where I am. How can that be?
Larry

Aaa GPS

Larry,
It does have a real GPS receiver but the A part of the AGPS is for assisted.
What happens is the cell towers are used for a rough initial location to tell the GPS where it is so it knows which satellites to look for. This decreases the amount of time it takes for the GPS to lock on by a large margin.
If the device has been moved from its last know position and there are no cell towers it will take a lot longer to lock on (Like any GPS receiver)

Hope this helps
Chris Olsen
N2XK - RV4

Thanks everyone! I actually talked to 3 different people at
apple and one from Verizon and they all said it did not. Wow! I thought when I purchased one some time ago it was said to have a chip. Larry

Sounds like the people you talked to do not know what they are talking about.

Here is a link to the specs on the Apple website:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

1/2 way down the above page under LOCATION, it says that the 3G version has:

• Assisted GPS
From over 7 months of using an iPad2 in flight, I can tell you that the Assisted part does not matter. The GPS works well in flight out of range of cell towers.

From over 7 months of using an iPad2 in flight, I can tell you that the Assisted part does not matter. The GPS works well in flight out of range of cell towers.

Do you bother with an external GPS attached to the iPad through its charge/data port? I see this adverted and wonder why they are necessary. I know the iPad GPS doesn't implement WAAS, but for VFR, who cares...

Do you bother with an external GPS attached to the iPad through its charge/data port? I see this adverted and wonder why they are necessary. I know the iPad GPS doesn't implement WAAS, but for VFR, who cares...

I am too CHEAP to buy an external GPS that will break off. The built in one works fine in all my flying. I used the iPad in place of all the paper on a 30-hour flying trip from the Left Coast, to Pennsylvania, Oshkosh, and back to the Left Coast this summer. Always got a GPS fix in short order on the one built into the iPad. Yes I would shut the iPad off for up to 30-minutes at at time and still got a GPS fix in short order. Also have used the iPad up down and around the Left coast.

Keep in mind that the iPad GPS is a supplement to my IFR approach certified panel mount GPS and backup 396 unit.

I have seen web sites say that all the external GPS units for the iPad are more accurate. I do not have one so cannot say if that is true or not but the built in one is close enough to my IFR approach certified panel mount GPS, I see no reason to spend money on something that will break off, get lost, or be forgotten behind.

The external GPS is for the non 3G models, they do not have a GPS.

The reason for that is the 3G and GPS is ONE chipset! So if you have a 3g, you have gps. And as was said, the GPS finds sats just fine and quite fast in fact, far faster than my old garmin ever did.

I've had problems with the gps on my 3G iPad not getting a good signal sometimes. My non 3G iPad doesn't have a gps. I bought the dual external gps that uses bluetooth. It works grreat with both iPads and just sits up on the glare shield out of the way quite nicely.

I've been thinking about a ram iPad mount. Does anyone use one? Where do you mount yours? Share a picture if you can

I bought a RAM mount for mine. Mounted it on a ball just to the right of the radio stack.

Due to the hard time one has seeing the Ipad in an RV cockpit, this did not work very well.

I never use the mount now, I just keep the Ipad in between the seats and when I need to look at it I hand hold it to get the best anti glare angle on it.

What brand GPS did you buy?

I've had problems with the gps on my 3G iPad not getting a good signal sometimes. My non 3G iPad doesn't have a gps. I bought the dual external gps that uses bluetooth. It works grreat with both iPads and just sits up on the glare shield out of the way quite nicely.

I am considering a similar set-up for my system as I often have poor signal (unit on my lap in my -4). Can you recommend a battery-operated, Bluetooth-enabled GPS that I can put on my roll bar?

Thanks,

Dean