glider

Well Known Member
So just FYI:
If you just updated to iOS5 and you want to use your favorite aviation app (hopefully that's SkyCharts!) please remember to re-cache the data you need while airborne.
Many apps use the 'Caches' directory to keep syncing faster, but unfortunately that means iTunes will NOT restore any data after an iOS update.

But after the update, go ahead and use the improved PDF viewer on approach plates to enjoy faster viewing and more zooming than before.

Last edited:
I must admit skycharts might not have all the bells and whistles of some other apps. But it is hands down THE best bang for the buck out there! LOVE the app!

I must admit skycharts might not have all the bells and whistles of some other apps. But it is hands down THE best bang for the buck out there! LOVE the app!

SkyCharts Pro is the only one that I have found that has the BACK SIDE of the TAC. IMHO, SkyCharts Pro is worth the cost just to have the back side of the Terminal Area Charts.

Say Heikki

...errr....I've never done any updates...my wife was always the one.

How 'bout a step by step.."push this button, then this button"...and so on.

Thanks,

will have to wait till it can be jailbroken.
For my iPhone, I agree. But I upgraded my iPad this morning.

As for SkyCharts, I agree it's a great app, but only if you live in the US. Canadians seem to live in a barren, featureless wasteland according to Skycharts. Maybe this is why so many Americans think there's nothing north of the 49th parallel... :p

???????????????

O.K., I just lit off the ipad, and opened up ShyCharts--------nothing asked about updating or any such. Nada, nothing. It just opened up like always, only message was about acknowledging that it was not to be used for primary nav.

As Pierre asked, how about a step-by-step for us non geeks.

Hi Mike

When you open up iTunes, then plug in your iPad with its accessory cable, to your PC and turn it on, is when you'll get the prompt to install the new version.

You have to install version 10.5 to iTunes and then you can install 5.0 from the iTunes program via the USB cable from your computer to the iPad.

Do it in the wee hours of the morning or late at night when there aren't so many users online. Mine said 3 hours to install this afternoon and when I was down to 58 minutes, an electrical storm disconnected my computer....aaargh!

Now we start all over.

Best,

Snowflake,
I would love to add Canadian charts.

However, since those have a different copy right than the US charts so far its not possible.
Other apps that do provide Canadian charts also charge extra for Canadian charts. Stay tuned.
Check Q25 in the FAQ:
http://www.skycharts.net/faq.html

For my iPhone, I agree. But I upgraded my iPad this morning.

As for SkyCharts, I agree it's a great app, but only if you live in the US. Canadians seem to live in a barren, featureless wasteland according to Skycharts. Maybe this is why so many Americans think there's nothing north of the 49th parallel... :p

Last edited:
Ah, you need to use iTunes to update your iOS device.
Its not the app itself that's being updated, its the (i)OS on the device.
You may also have to update to the latest version of iTunes.
Once you have the latest version of iTunes, once you plug in the USB cable iTunes should ask if you want to update (your iOS device).
Note, this is a fairly lengthy process.
Then you also need to re-cache all data - and depending how many regions you have selected you're looking at downloading 5GB of data or so.
(with fast internet that should take about 1hr30).
Or you may also just wait to update after the next cycle (1111, Oct20) to be released, since you probably want to re-cache the charts at that time anyway ?

iTunes 10.5 is available here:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/

O.K., I just lit off the ipad, and opened up SkyCharts--------nothing asked about updating or any such. Nada, nothing. It just opened up like always, only message was about acknowledging that it was not to be used for primary nav.

As Pierre asked, how about a step-by-step for us non geeks.

Last edited:
Heikki, thanks for the explanation.

Not sure I follow it, but my wife will know what you are talking about.

Thanks,

Hi Mike

My iTunes program wouldn't recognize my iPad and after frustrated calls to the Apple store, we decided to un-install the older iTunes program and re-install the new one which already has version 10.5, rather than trying to upgrade the older version. It worked like a charm and I proceeded to then update the iPad, which it now recognized and prompted me to do the newr iOS5.

Best,

Skycharts pro stupid question...i have a wifi ipad 2 and have issues viewing my sectionals in flight. Usually i can only see my home sectional and none of my enroute ones....i dont have the bluetooth gps either... Is it possible to view all your charts at all? What am i doing wrong?

Yep

Mitch, I only download the Southeast U.S. to my iPad 1 and when I put in a route, it's drawn in pink on the charts and I simply 'drag' the chart along as the trip progresses. I don't have the 3 G version either.

FWIW...(Starkey), the download time at 6:00 a.m. this morning was only 35 minutes, compared to yesterday afternoon's 3 hours!! Lot less people clogging the 'net..

Best,

Last edited:
Say Heikki

I've completed all the updates but several of my icons, including SkychartsPro have disappeared. I went to your site and it said to download a later app from your site, on my iPad through the App store. Then I have to pay for a new subscription?

......confused.

Thanks,

Mitch, I only download the Southeast U.S. to my iPad 1 and when I put in a route, it's drawn in pink on the charts and I simply 'drag' the chart along as the trip progresses. I don't have the 3 G version either.

Best,

thanks Pierre..I had the entire US! will try again

Pierre,
you (or iTunes) somehow decided to un-select your installed apps.
In iTunes, once you connected your iPad, click on Apps, make sure 'Sync Apps' is selected, then make sure the apps you want are selected.
Then click 'Sync'. It may take 1-2 times before iTunes and the iPad are in harmony about what apps you need.

As long as you didn't change your Apple account id you do NOT have to pay again to download the app (although it sounds like it).

I've completed all the updates but several of my icons, including SkychartsPro have disappeared. I went to your site and it said to download a later app from your site, on my iPad through the App store. Then I have to pay for a new subscription?

......confused.

Thanks,

Sounds like the regions didn't get cached ?

If you had all regions selected it should definitely have worked.
To verify you are fully cached, tap on 'i' and all regions will show up.
Before you head out, make sure both of the 'progress bars' are fully blue for the regions you expect to use.

If you don't have a GPS built in, the airplane icon will turn red (to indicate its not receiving any position updates), and will of course not move either but besides from that the app should work.
If you want to add GPS to your iPad, you can always try one of these hardware devices:
http://www.skycharts.net/?p=816

Skycharts pro stupid question...i have a wifi ipad 2 and have issues viewing my sectionals in flight. Usually i can only see my home sectional and none of my enroute ones....i dont have the bluetooth gps either... Is it possible to view all your charts at all? What am i doing wrong?

Last edited: