Eztroller

Well Known Member
Im not too interested in how fast I get there, more interested in the overall cost. Anyone have a taildragger with an IO360 and what do you think? Im not sure I could even tell the difference between the 390 and now 390exp. I will probably fly in the 6000-9000’ level, three-four hour legs, safe long runways, and really no care of when I get there. 360 gonna fit the bill?

Thx

That is what is on the factory tail dragger. I don’t believe there is a significant difference in speed. However, I believe it requires a specific 360 with a forward prop governor and there are not that many around. The biggest problem will be finding one.

Another thing to think about (if you're interested) is the resale value. I think you might miss out on a lot of potential buyer if and when the time comes to sell it. .

Why not use a 320 for better costs....

There is a pretty large weight delta between the parallel valve and the angle valve engines.

There would be a rather serious C.G. issue to deal with if a parallel valve engine was used (particularly the O-320 since it is the lightest), because the RV-14 was specifically designed around the weight of the angle valve IO-360 and 390.

The factory demonstrator RV-14 does have an angle valve IO-360 and it is a good engine choice, but as already mentioned, you have to use a variant that has a front mounted prop governor unless you chose to go with a fixed pitch prop (which in itself could cause a less than desirable C.G.

Last edited: