pete/homebuilt

I'm New Here
Any hints or ideas on using vans firewall location for throtle and mixture cables. There arent any brackets made yet for AFP or are there. not much help from Afp
pete

Last edited:
Throttle mixture cables

A front sump installation has lots of options for cable location. First you have the have the exhaust installed to determine what's going to be in the way. I'm sorry we were not to much help to give you a specific answer to your questions if you called here, but there are to many possibilities for us to anticipate what will be required for this type of installation. If you have an Airflow Performance fuel injection system you will have many examples of different types of cable installations, just look in Appendix B of your Installation and Service Manual. There are 11 pages of pictures depicting different ideas for possible cable bracket installations. If that doesn't help give us a call and we can send you more pictures of installations we've done here.

The bracket design will also depend on if you have a FM-200 or FM-150 fuel control unit.

Don

Like Don says, probably to many different installs for 1 bracket design. Vans brackets are set up for the standard engine and exhaust and throttle cables. Also firewall penetration is stock.

Here's my bracket. But I have a AFP 200, Superior Cold Sump, left side throttle, 4 pipe Vetterman exhaust and custom cable lengths. this bracket only took 3 prototypes and 30hrs to get right. :eek:
RV-7build488.jpg

Any hints or ideas on using vans firewall location for throtle and mixture cables. There arent any brackets made yet for AFP or are there. not much help from Afp
pete

Hi Pete,

Your profile suggests that you are building a -7 so I can't speak 100%. For a -7A, I used the standard control cables and some of the firewall penetrations that Van's specs for an IO engine, IIRC. I ordered an extra VA-173-PC from Van's, a 2" extension from Aircraft Spruce (P/N 10376-2), and had the mixture reversed by Don@AFS.

Had I to do this again, I would place the pass-through holes in the cabin heat box a bit higher to get a little more slack from the control cables. As it stands now, there isn't much slack and if I had placed the controls any higher I might have run out of what little slack I had.

Being so close to the exhaust (Vetterman crossover), I also fire-sleeved the control cables to the point of just including the rubber "sleeve" that is on the cables. I also made some custom shaped heat shields out of stainless sheet. After 70 hrs, things appear to be holding up well; but then the RV still has its first Texas summer to contend with. ;)

More details/pictures here. The picture dated 'Sun Feb 1 16:29:50 2009' on this page probably gives the best overall view.

Good luck,