Mike Redd

I have a IO360 A1B6 200HP angle valve in my RV7. #1 has a crack in the head from the top spark plug hole. Engine has 700 hrs since rebuild, oil filter is clean-not making metal, cam looks good. My question is should I replace just the bad cylinder with a certified new cyl or is there rebuilt ones avail. or could/should replace all 4 with ECI expirimental cylinders. Where is the best place to get cylinders. Can I mix cert and exp cylinders. Any suggestions? Thanks

Mike,
Sorry I dont have the phone number but its listed. Try calling Larry Brown of Brown Aviation in Tulsa ok. I dont know where you live but I find Larry very fair on prices and he does nice work. He can probably fix you up with a rebuilt matching cylinder assy.
Ryan

Holy Jugs Batman!

Now this is RV'ers helping RV'ers.

Mike, should you decide on new ECi Exp cylinders, I'm giving away an ECi certificate that I won at LOE last year for 25% discount on a set of New Titan Exp Angle Valve cylinders.

Last edited:
cylinder

Give Moore Performance a call, Edgewater Fl. He has helped me out with one off cylinders.

I was going to use Ernie's 25% off coupon and get the ECI EXP cylinders. I called last monday to ECI talked with Tim, he said they didn't have them in stock but the price was $1,032 and he would call me back to tell me when they could have them done. I thought OK 25% off I'll replace all 4. No call back by Friday so I called another number and talked with Joe. He said $1,738 and about 20 days to mfg. them, I asked how many they had flying and he said I'd be the first. Uh, I'm going to be the guinney pig and for almost what I could get Lycoming cylinders for, no thanks with the other problems ECI is having with cylinders. So in the end I bought 2 refurbished lycoming cyls from Airtec, $500 ea. I would have taken the chance for the $780 ea. and replaced all 4. But $1,500 ea is $6,000 total, too steep for one cracked cylinder.

Fuel for the Fire

Mike, I believe you made the right decision. I do find it interesting that the prices ECi quoted you were not in line with their published price list (here). An interesting aside however is that I've never won anything in my life until LOE last year when it was announced that I was the 'Big Winner' of the ECI gift certificate. Inasmuch as this discount certificate appears to be not only worthless, it appears further that it may have become a liability to some unsuspecting VAF member. I've decided to BURN IT, and that's all I have to say about that!

Have a Great Day!

mix up

Sounds like there may have been a mix-up at ECI between standard and angle valve cylinders. Angle valve cylinders are a new product they just introduced.

For that price, I'd get 4 new ones. You'd be hard pressed to find a used/overhauled/repaired lycoming angle valve for under 1000$. I don't know if you can mix and match the ECIs and the Lycs, but thats tempting if you can.

Seeing the angle valve 480 cylinders for cheap gives me a really good idea for that dang O-290 core I have lying around...