henriquerv9

HI ALL,

DOES ANYONE HAS RECENTLY SPOKE WITH ENGINE COMPANIES (AEROSPORTPOWER, MATTITUCK, PENNYAN, ETC) AND KNOW WHO HAS THE BEST LEAD TIME FOR NEW ENGINES? I HAVE A FRIEND WHO NEEDS ONE IO360 FOR YESTERDAY.

THANKS ALL IN ADVANCE

HENRIQUE CASTRO

Americas Aircraft Engines

Don't forget to try these guys. I have only been talking with them about a future engine, but they come highly recommended

i think website is www.overhaul.com

good luck,
jeff h

IO-360 Lead Times

Barrett's is 16-17 weeks for a new engine
8 weeks to overhaul an existing core

But remember, most companies are prepping for OSH, so schedules are jam packed.

Rhonda Barrett-Bewley
Barrett Precision Engines, Inc.
Tulsa, OK

mahlon_r said:
Henri,
We (Mattituck) are running about 16-20 weeks.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

I ordered a TMX-IO360 on 20 February and am still waiting. I was informed it was scheduled for the test cell last week. That's 19 weeks already for me and growing. I assume there will be a bubble after OSH for most engine builders.

Jekyll

Jekyll said:
I ordered a TMX-IO360 on 20 February and am still waiting. I was informed it was scheduled for the test cell last week. That's 19 weeks already for me and growing. I assume there will be a bubble after OSH for most engine builders.

Jekyll

Oh Man!! You mean you didn't go up there for the build!? You missed the best part dude....well, starting it in your own aiframe is probably the BEST part.... ;)

Paul

lead times

I talked to 3 companies yesterday at Arlington.
America's Aircraft Engines told me about 30 days for an O-360 Titan kit.
Mattituck told me 4-5 months for the TMX O-360.
AeroSport Power was somewhere in between the two, but I do not remember the time exactly.
By the way, it was great to be able to talk to reps one-on-one. All were very helpful and answered all of my dumb questions.
Have fun.
Ward

Ironflight said:
Oh Man!! You mean you didn't go up there for the build!? You missed the best part dude....well, starting it in your own aiframe is probably the BEST part.... ;)

Paul

Paul, Out of curiosity why did you go with the 0-360 as opposed to the I0-360? It's obvious you didn't skimp on anything for your plane so I was wondering why you chose carbureted. I might apply the same logic to my 8 when I get to that stage.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Simplicity, Cost, Familiarity....

praterdj said:
Paul, Out of curiosity why did you go with the 0-360 as opposed to the I0-360? It's obvious you didn't skimp on anything for your plane so I was wondering why you chose carbureted. I might apply the same logic to my 8 when I get to that stage.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

I get asked that a lot Don!

I looked at the selection process in a number of ways, and decided to let my requirements drive my choice. Between the two man choices, there is a difference in horsepower, inverted capability, complexity, and cost. Along with these factors are my own experience (and lack of experience) with the options.

I never like to give away horsepower, but I decided the -8 is such a great performer in any case, that the added weight and complexity of the IO just didn't outweigh the extra 20 HP - for me. If you go with an IO, you add high pressure fuel pumps, return lines, etc. If you are adding injection to get inverted capability, then you are also adding flop tubes and inverted oil systems. You have to make decisions about how much you like to build and work on the machine and how much you like to get flying! I like to do both (as most do), but probably gravitated slightly more to wards the "I want to get it flying" side of the argument - and building simpler helps do that.

I have always told folks that "I can fix a carb in a cornfield", but I am totally clueless about injection systems. for me, the carbed engine offers no mysteries for starting (hot or cold), and rarely malfunctions in a way that you can't fix with simple tools.

In the end, for the kind of flying I do, I simply couldn't justify the added expense and complexity (both building and operational) of injection. I simply didn't NEED injection for what I was doing bad enough to add it. for others, it is an excellent choice - you simply have to list your requirements, and then weigh the options against them.

I like to fly fast, climb solidly, cruise a long way, fly at least one or two rolls every time I leave the ground - and know that at any given hour of the day, I can depend on the airplane being ready to go fly. I only pull negative G's if I'm being paid to do it, or I screw up. I admit that I am biased by all of the people I have seen tinkering with their injected setups. I know that bad news is news, and good news is not - so you only hear of problems, and never the hundreds of hours of flawless operation - but still, there seems to me to be a reliability edge to the carbed engines.

I'm extremely happy with my choices for what I wanted out of my airplane. But it took a lot of deliberate work bouncing capability against requirements to get there. To me, that is one of the fun parts of the process!

Paul

Jekyll said:

Jekyll

Your engine has been assembled and scheduled for test for quite some time. We are anxiously waiting for your Emag and Pmag to arrive. They have been back ordered since early March. Once here, we will test ASAP. If delivery is an issue, I can run with slave ignition, within 24 hours notice, and you can install the Emag and Pmag when they are available. I would rather run the engine with the ignition you will use, to make sure that the ignition system is functioning properly but I can deviate from that if you want and need the engine right away.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Ironflight said:

Paul

Paul: Even though they are a short 3 hour drive from me I wasn't able due to work etc.

May I correct you on one point? I think flying the engine in my own airframe will be better than starting it. :D

Jekyll

Wait for the Pmag/Emag

mahlon_r said:
Your engine has been assembled and scheduled for test for quite some time. We are anxiously waiting for your Emag and Pmag to arrive. They have been back ordered since early March. Once here, we will test ASAP. If delivery is an issue, I can run with slave ignition, within 24 hours notice, and you can install the Emag and Pmag when they are available. I would rather run the engine with the ignition you will use, to make sure that the ignition system is functioning properly but I can deviate from that if you want and need the engine right away.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Mahlon:

Thanks for the information. I'll wait for the test with the delivery ignitions. Good detective work on your part in that my call sign here is not on your work order (but I'm sure a quick look revealed much).

I hope you didn't take my post as being negative. Only providing a current customer's concurrance with your estimate.

I'm excited to get my pride and joy, it's not holding up my project. In fact, I almost offered up my build position to the man that needed an engine yesterday. If I did that, what would the impact on my schedule be?

Jekyll

Jekyll said:
Mahlon:

Thanks for the information. I'll wait for the test with the delivery ignitions. Good detective work on your part in that my call sign here is not on your work order (but I'm sure a quick look revealed much).

I hope you didn't take my post as being negative. Only providing a current customer's concurrance with your estimate.

I'm excited to get my pride and joy, it's not holding up my project. In fact, I almost offered up my build position to the man that needed an engine yesterday. If I did that, what would the impact on my schedule be?

Jekyll
Not taken as a negative at all...figured the two names just had to go together!! Then looked at the order dates, and it matched up.
You could swap positions with any one that is currently on order and get your when theirs would have been done and they of course would get your original engine when it finishes up. If the other fellow doesn't have an engine on order and your fits his requirements we could sell yours to him and enter a new order for you, that would get filled 16-20 weeks out.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

slot avaiable?

The ideia of buying some slot is interesting, If any guy who doesnt need an engine for these and doesnt want to spend $$$ for these days. I could put and order with his specifications and then we could shift positions...

This could be very helpful for me if someone doen't are in firewall foward instalation.... :rolleyes:

I SPOKE TODAY WITH SUPERIORAIRPARTS GUYS AND THEY GIVE ME ONLY 4/6 WEEKS DELIVERY TIME. THIS IS THE BEST LEAD TIME SO FAR.

DOES ANYONE WHO BOUGHT THEIR ENGINE TELL ME THE EXPERIENCE ABOUT BUYING FROM THEM? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT PRODUCT QUALITY AND ASSISTENCE.

REGARDS

HENRIQUE CASTRO