dwranda

Well Known Member
I've searched on here and can't really find out much about if this engine is a good fit or will need many mods. It is on ebay now and is somewhat local to me . It's an IO-320 B1C. Has anyone used one on a 9A? If so, what if anything is needed to get it to fit. Haven't even ordered my fuse kit yet, but if this is good I might have to get it.

I've searched on here and can't really find out much about if this engine is a good fit or will need many mods. It is on ebay now and is somewhat local to me . It's an IO-320 B1C. Has anyone used one on a 9A? If so, what if anything is needed to get it to fit. Haven't even ordered my fuse kit yet, but if this is good I might have to get it.

I have an O-320-B1A on my 6. I had to change sumps to to get the carb to sit in the middle of pan the stock sump had the carb too far aft for the nose gear. Mine had conical mounts, but them converted to Dyna I when the case was being worked/checked.

Larry

I have an O-320-B1A on my 6. I had to change sumps to to get the carb to sit in the middle of pan the stock sump had the carb too far aft for the nose gear. Mine had conical mounts, but them converted to Dyna I when the case was being worked/checked.

Larry

Larry is correct. Most if not all of the O-320-B?? engines have the updraft carb sitting to far back on the oil sump to use on any of the -A model RVs. If it is local, go look at it. As Larry says, check the location of the carb mount on the oil sump. IF it is not in the middle or toward the front, the sump and intake tubes would need to be swapped out for it to work.

I have TWO (2) O-320-B?? engines and they both will not work on the -A model RVs because of the carb being mounted to far aft.

OK since I don't know much about engines this may be a stupid question, but this is a fuel injected engine. You guys mention the carb being in a certain location. It wouldn't have one right???

OK since I don't know much about engines this may be a stupid question, but this is a fuel injected engine. You guys mention the carb being in a certain location. It wouldn't have one right???

The FI servo is about the same size as the carb and goes in the same place. Questions due to inexperience should never be considered stupid. It's how we learn.

Larry

Thanks guys!! I hopefully can get someone experienced to go with me to look at it if I do. I also plan on talking to the shop that tore it down and installed the new crank.

Engine

IO 320B and C series are Twin Commanche engines with type II mpount which requires a different engine mount OR conversion of the case which requires teardown of the engine. Also a lot of these are narrow deck engines.
Fuel injection is mounted on the rear which will require a sump change for bottom or front mount injection. It is POSSIBLE that the sump can be converted to front mount.
The op clearly states IO(injected) engine which is very different than 0 320B. Best to read the original post carefully.

LYCOMING Parts Catalog O-320, IO-320, & LIO-320 Series PC-103 shows the IO-320-B1C engine using Sump Assembly 76299+. The + is a REAR mount injector. It will NOT work on any -A model RVs that I know of. Sump Assembly 74513+ will also not work as it is also the rear mount injector.

Looking in the PC-103 Parts Catalog, I think (would need to see to make sure) 74083 may work with carb or injector.

I know that Sump Part Number 72362 will NOT work on any -A model RV. It is used on the -A2B, A2C, A3B, A3C, B2B, B3B, B3C, IO-320-E2A.

Awesome info guys. Looks like I will be passing on this engine due to the rear injector.

All the 320/360 engines use the same mating configuration for all sumps, except the oil pickup and many/most accy cases will support either pickup style. I found a center mount sump from a D model for $200 on Craigslist and sold the original from my B model on ebay for $180. The previous poster does raise a good point about the Dyna II mounting though. That would require a different mount and more of a hassle.

Larry