hydroguy2

Well Known Member
A rv-4 owner/friend of mine has a 0hr SMOH, IO-540 G1A5 (290hp) on the stand at his place. His skybolt project is in other hands now and so he is thinking of selling the 540. He has been away from aviation for a bit, so is trying to figure out a asking price.

HOw does some go about pricing something like this?

First off, you have to determine condition and age of overhaul. Then find out if there are any undersized parts (The crank journals have been ground, cylinders overbored). Then look at lycoming's price and subtract what you consider a fair amount for any of the above.

Not trying to squash a sale, but in the interest of education; to anyone considering that particular model engine (-G1A5) be aware that they have a history of crankshaft failures. Been there, seen that, not fun.
Aside from that little issue, it's a great engine. Especially for an airboat!:eek: Definitely not for an acro application. The -K1A5 is the much improved version.

I'll relay the info. At this point he has someone interested in the engine, but doesn't know what to ask. It belonged to his dad(gone west) who was building the skybolt. I think the logs are missing or "lost" by a disgruntled employee, but was a no expense spared overhaul a few years ago.

It is sitting in dry storage(preserved). has 2 mags, chrome intake tubes and rocker covers, complete FI unit. Looks pretty, but little else known at this point. He may load it up and take it to a local IA to get some idea where to start.

FYI-they pulled a jug to peak inside. Looks to be a full overhaul, never ran, No corrosion. FI unit and mags also appear fresh. they did a serial number check with Lycoming and the engine is from their specialty shop in 1964, but no records since, but think the overhaul was in the mid 1990's. Been in heated dry hangar ever since. here's pic, if anyone is interested.
DSCF0024.jpg