JDanno

Well Known Member
I have a question about the fuel system on an IO-540
1. Is the mechanical fuel pump a self priming diaphragm type?
2. The electrical fuel pump I was looking at this afternoon was NOT self priming. Is that normal? It was the one supplied by Vans back about five years ago for the RV10 (we think). I was trying to help my friend check the fuel system for leaks and discovered that it wouldn't self prime. This normal? Don't sound correct to me. Thanks!

Both of the pumps on my Rv 10 are self priming. It is the standard Vans set up.

Last edited:
all pumps on aircraft should be self priming. Running a tank dry should not result in anything more than a brief annoyance.

Well, that's what I thought. The original installer said it wouldn't prime itself since it's a turbine vane. That sounded a bit dicey to me. thanks guys, Dan

There are two types of engine driven fuel pumps available to the 540 depending on the model. There is a dual diaphragm pump and a rotary vane pump. Both are positive misplacement pumps but the rotary ones can be a little iffy for self priming, if they have some wear, without the boost pump to get them wet first.
Good luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."