MCA

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I've added some new info about the IO-390 installed on my -7. Have about 130 hours on the plane/engine now. Also some info on comparing a Whirlwind 200RV with a Hartzel 7497 BA prop.

www.IO-390.com

Marc

IO-390 Updates

Hey Marc:

Thanks for the updates on your site. Thought you might want to know that we are doing a baseline dyno test on a factory AEIO-390 this Friday for MT to use in some vibration analysis. Not sure when the information will be made available to the public, but I would think it should be soon.

Best,

Why so slow?

Great looking airplane.

Why do you think your cruise numbers are 20 kts lower than the other guys?

I'm considering the IO-390 and it'd be nice to get some close numbers on a few aircraft to help compare cost/speed.

The Mighty 390!

How are the oil temps now Marc? Earlier on you were just marginal? I keep an eye on your 'site, I just ground ran my TMX-390 in the Giles G-200. I've gone with a 13-row oil cooler with it's own inlet duct. Hope to fly soon.

I'd like to know what MT come up with prop-wise for acro on a 390, I've fitted a WW200C to mine, and I ordered the engine without counterweights to save weight. The engine without couinterweights, starter ring gear, carb/FI, or vac pump drive weighed 286lb.

I have no idea why the plane is slower than it should be. It's still great to fly, but I just don't have time these days to really track it down - nor am I an aero expert who knows what to look for. Going to try a few small mods in April when the next annual is due.

Oil temps are fine now. Usually around 180 -190 in cruise. Can get up to 230 in climb in the Summer. Overall it doesn't have to be managed very closely.

As far as comparisons go, I'm hoping to do a side-by-side speed run with another guy who has a -390 in a -7 as well. Will post that when it happens, probably later in the year. :D

Let's do it! PM with your info and I'll look you up next trip to LA. Or vice versa...

Marc