kwkpilot

Hello, im looking into doing an RV10 one day, and wanted to know if anyone has used the new IO-390 on it? Could the smaller 390 be more easy on the money when things start breaking? or is the old 540 just the most logical choice...

Kevin

THe money you think you'll save on the engine will be spent on engineering and manufacture of all the parts to make the 390 work. i.e mount, fwf, etc.

You would have a one off with zero support from Vans.

If you are worried about fuel, just throttle back and run LOP.

I would stick with the 540.

Resale Value

Stick with an IO 540 and the 2 blade hartzel.

As Bob mentioned....money saved here is blown x (1+X) later.

Van did 200HP

Van has/had a -10 with the IO-360 Conti in it, so chances are, they'd be able to support THAT installation. I don't believe they had any takers and I can give you some insight as to its performance by comparison to a Cirrus 20.

A customer/friend of mine has a Cirrus 20 hangared on my airport and I've flown it solo and with him aboard. Essentially, what you have, is a two-place airplane that uses around 2500' to get airborne:eek:...and yes, I know it's heavier than a -10 but it is what it is.

I go into our EAA strip..2600' grass with short trees on the approach end routinely and use less than half to get out. The Cirrus -20, IF it landed there without running off the far end, couldn't get out, except on a trailer.

The lack of interest in the 200 HP -10 should speak loud and clear.

Best,

Remember....

Van has/had a -10 with the IO-360 Conti in it, so chances are, they'd be able to support THAT installation.

The Continental IO-360 is a six cylinder engine. The Lycoming IO-390 is a 4-banger.
Not quite apples-to-apples.