Dugaru

Well Known Member
Lots of x's in that title....

Anyway, a friend in Austin TX has a Lycoming IO-390-EXP with some sort of fuel distribution or leaning issue that his regular A&Ps have been unable to diagnose or solve.

He asked me to ask the RVers if they knew of a Texas-based genius with respect to this powerplant.

Thanks!
Doug

Lots of x's in that title....

Anyway, a friend in Austin TX has a Lycoming IO-390-EXP with some sort of fuel distribution or leaning issue that his regular A&Ps have been unable to diagnose or solve.

He asked me to ask the RVers if they knew of a Texas-based genius with respect to this powerplant.

Thanks!
Doug

As it relates to fuel injection, the 390 is the same as any other angle valve Lycoming.

I don't think Barrett actually works on flying aircraft but if you're heading that way, feel free to stop by and we can discuss your problem. however I will never claim to be an "expert" on anything :cool:

I don't think Barrett actually works on flying aircraft but if you're heading that way, feel free to stop by and we can discuss your problem. however I will never claim to be an "expert" on anything :cool:

Gonna throw the BS flag on Walt here....

Walt did the annual on my aircraft in 2016, and when he pulled/inspected the plugs, he called me and asked if it was running hot, as the plugs looked like they had sustained some heat damage.

In fact, I had been battling high CHT's on takeoff ever since I had owned the aircraft, with limited success.

So...I sent him the engine monitor info, and after looking at it, his opinion was that the FF servo was flowing too low at high power settings, even though it had a new engine (and factory new servo) with <200 hours on it. He recommended pulling the it and getting it re-flowed, as his experience had shown that quite a few ran lean, even though brand new.

I had to admit, I wasn't happy to hear that suggestion, nor bear the cost of what should have worked correctly right from the gitgo...but I bit the bullet and took his advice.

What he suggested...worked. After the re-flow, FF rates went up ~1-1.5 gph at TO power settings, and it made a big difference on takeoff CHT's.

Now, I rarely get close to 400F (my limit) before I can get enough smash (>100KIAS) to keep things reasonably cool on takeoff/climbout.

If Walt is offering to take a look, you would be well-served to take him up on his offer...he is being overly modest on his skill set in these matters.

My 2 cents.