RobinHou

Well Known Member
A friend is building a RV-8 with Aero Sport IO-375 engine, low compression 195 up. Vans is hesitate to sell him a Sensenich metal prop for 180 hp engine because concerns about compatibility and too much hp.

What other choices are there if he wants to stay with fixed pitch?

Thanks in advance,

Robin Hou

I was looking into this a couple of years ago when I decided to go with the IO-375. I would look at Catto props... pretty sure he has made up props for the IO-375.

I have the IO-375 and 195hp. I have the Whirl Wind 200RV and it has far exceeded my expectations. I'm constant speed though, so I don't know how your friend's results would differ. Have him call the prop manufacturers and pick their brains. I can't speak for other companies, but I've found Whirl Wind to be very accessible and knowledgable. Good luck!

Ask Bart at AeroSport what they recommend. He won't stear you wrong. I have an O-375, 195hp from AeroSport, with a 72" hartzell CS. Same one vans recommends for the O-360. Aerosport said they've seen good success with this combo when I was deciding. I can now confirm.

Still suggest you call them as they may have more or new information since I spoke with them ~ 12 months ago.

Whirlwind just came out with a new 74" prop designed for the higher horsepower motors. Seems sacreligious to put a FP prop on such a motor.

We have an IO-375 195 HP with a three bladed Catto for our Sportsman that Craig optimized specifically for the Sportsman. Haven't flown it though, so can't comment on actual experience.