Rockyjs

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm installing baffles on my Superior IO-360 horizontal induction. Everything was going great until I began fitting the Van's FAB. I had already trimmed both the left and right lower floor baffles even with the lower cowl inlet. When I fit the FAB it protrudes into the lower cowl inlet. I'm not finished trimming the FAB and probably can locate the filter box 3/8" back towards the cylinders. In order to fit the FAB properly in the left floor baffle, I would have to trim the cowl inlet about 1/2" on the inboard side and slightly less on the outboard. Another solution would be to reduce the size of the FAB and filter about 3/4", however I have no idea if this is feasible. Is there a minimum filter area? I'd rather not trim the lower cowl inlet. Has anybody, been here done that? Here's a couple of pictures of the clearance issue
Rocky

You're gonna need to trim the cowl inlet to make that work. YOU can only get so close to the cylinder, so it's got to go somewhere. Here's how mine ended up:

IMG_0549.JPG

Thanks for the reply and picture Jim? It's hard to imagine what the final cut would look like. It's certainly easier to cut the inlet, than to reinvent the wheel and build a new air box. My FAB also interferes with my alternator bracket, so I'll be doing some creative glasswork down there making a relief. I'm still going to think about it and finish out my FWF wiring in the meantime. Did you add the alternate air to the side of the FAB?

It takes a bit of manuevering to get a good alignment to fit within the cowl inlet and offer clearance around the alternator.
I can submit some pictures tomorrow as I'm in the middle of replacing my Superior Ryton sump.