jpharrell

Well Known Member
I recently placed an order for my engine with Aero Sport Power for my RV-7A. Here are the key specifications:

IO-360-B1B, 8.5:1 compression ratio, 180 HP
Set up for fixed pitch use now with the option of constant speed operation in the future
Vertical air induction
Airflow Performance fuel injection (AFP 8000014 kit)
Dual P-Mags with automotive spark plugs 18 mm plug threads with 14 mm adapters
Port and flow matched

The engine is being built now. To those who have been through this before is there anything else you would request as an option or accessory, or a way of setting up the engine to make it easier to install later? For example, I seem to remember reading a comment a long time ago that it would have been easier if certain fittings (I can't recall which) were installed by the engine builder.

Fuel pump cover

I would suggest installing a cover over the fuel pump to run fresh air. Its a bugger to install later.

Besides that the rest is easy access - alternator, starter, etc.

I have the same engine, also from ASP, but with 9:1 compression.

Im a little fuzzy on this now, but I think I had them install my right angle oil filter adaptor. I would also suggest they put in the NL-series starter from Skytec as well, although you could do that yourself pretty easy.

You will have to get a little creative when installing the AFP throttle bracket. I hacked it up pretty good and riveted on an extra piece to make it work. Aassociated with that, you need to carefully locate the holes in the firewall for the throttle and mixture controls to avoid interference with the engine mount - its tight but can be done. I also changed (shortened I think) my order from Vans regarding the length of the engine control cables from the standard length Vans supplies.

good luck
erich

Thanks Bob

I'll check out your build log. It looks like a lot of good information. I'm still hoping for others to chime in too.

Ask for a high-torque starter instead of the LS series. The weight difference isn't that much but the LS are prone to bell housing cracks. When I had a break, I borrowed a high-torque from Brad (AZTAILWIND) to get my bird back home. More recently, I had a problem with the solenoid on the starter and so used the high-torque again. I really like it. In Sky-Tec's defense, they performed the work gratis both times despite the starter being out of warranty; I only paid shipping. That's why I still have the LS starter but if it breaks again I may change it out anyway.

Patrick, call SkyTec and ask how much credit you would get for your LS starter towards a NL. I did that last year.

Just change it out now.

I spec a Superior sump; Bart thinks it flows a tad better than the Lyco sump. Looks like it should, too. The bump to 9:1 is cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

The fitting that draws the curses and commentary is the oil pressure pick-off located under the upper starboard engine mount cup. You can't install or remove it once the engine is hung. It's a 45 degree elbow. ASP puts one in standard as well as the in-line starter. Check with them for your own diligence.

John Siebold

Aero Sport Is On it

I just confirmed that Aero Sport includes the NL-series starter as standard equipment and installs the 45 degree fitting also. Way to go Aero Sport.