Mark Barker

I'm New Here
Hi Folks
I am selecting an engine for my soon to be completed Christen Eagle --- (sorry for posting here, but you folks are a lot more active than the Eagle site) ---, and looking for some input/info regarding aerobatic engines and cranks.
I plan on using the IO-360 or AEIO-360 as specified in the plans, but of course I find different thoughts and advice on types of crankshafts. I would like to hear the thoughts of this group.

The issue is how critical it is to make sure I have a crank without the lighting holes in the flange, or is this a big deal for a new beginning aerobatic guy ---- and also the whether or not a counter-weighted crankshaft. And of course keeping an eye on the Lycoming AD and service bulletins for some of these props.

I have the standard Eagle 2 blade metal Hartzell for the plane already.

This will be my first acro plane, so I will be starting with basic maneuvers, but I also want a set up that I can grow with.
I understand some of the issues here, but as always your thoughts and ideas are appreciated. ------- and thanks for letting a "extra wing, fabric guy" post here.

Take care
Mark

lightening hole cranks

Mark, this is not a good aerobatic crank. If starting from scratch. it will require an inspection every 25 hours. Our common response is, if you think you'll ever snap roll the airplane, get a solid flange crankshaft. I've got a corner overrun with lightening hole cranks with cracked flanges.

Allen
BPE, Inc