BDHAWK

This may be the dumb question on the day but I learned long ago to ask those with more experience.
I am rebuilding a IO-360 and was attempting to install the middle and back crankshaft bearings. They are really tight trying to get them to snap into place. How tight should they be? Should they push in by hand pressure. Should they be tapped in with a mallet. I could not push them in by hand and I'm afraid to tap them in with a mallet. I'm wondering if I wasn't given the wrong set of bearings. Looking forward to the easy answers from those A/P and AIs out there.
Thanks in advance.

Somethings wrong, they should snap in with just a few thousands overhanging the edge for crush. Sounds like you might have a plus size bearing with a standard bore. Did you put the case together first and mic the bores?

Crank bearings

Meek sure the anti- rotation pins align with the case female portion. Did you save the old ones to compare with? Always save the old ones until the new ones are installed.. I learned this years ago while patterning sheet metal parts .keep us posted

bearings

If you just had your case overhauled by a case shop then you can call them and ask what dowel they installed and what bearing it takes. They should not drop in but may be on the tight side also. I have a sheet that shows the different dowels and bearings and work together if you want a copy. There are 4 different possibilites which will depend on what alignment dowel your case has. Let me know your email if you do.
Thanks,
Jesse

Crankshaft bearing

The bearings are definitely the wrong ones. I warmed the case half and placed the bearings in the freezer and was able to get the bearing to snap in but they stuck up above the journal by a 1/4 inch on both sides.

I'm calling AEA in Dallas to get the correct bearing since that is where I got the other bearing and who serviced the crank.

Jim you mentioned something about the dowel when selecting bearings. Are you referring to the two dowel pens on the front bearing or something else that has to do with how a case is reconditioned?