hpais

Hello folks!

I'm considering purchasing a finished RV-7 fuselage, that has been painted, but is still sans engine and panel.

On the panel side, I'm tending towards the G3X, since I have a few hundred hours under the G1000 on Cirrus and Cessna airplanes...

On the engine side, I'm following the advice of some around the forum and looking for a nice rebuilt engine, from a certified airplane.

So, today I found this IO-360-C1C6 that was taken from an Arrow III or Arrow IV. I looked at the TCDS and found this description list:

IO-360-C1C6
200 hp (149 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 8.70:1. Same as the C1C but with a crankshaft with one 6.3 order and one 8th order counterweights.[4]

IO-360-C1C
200 hp (149 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 8.70:1. Same as the C1B but with a 14-degree fuel injector inlet adapter and an impulse coupling Bendix S4LN-1227 magneto.[4]

IO-360-C1B
200 hp (149 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 8.70:1. Same as the C1A but with Bendix 1200 series magnetos.[4]

IO-360-C1A
200 hp (149 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 8.70:1. Same as the A1A but with a rear-mounted injector.[4]

IO-360-A1A
200 hp (149 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 8.70:1. The base fuel-injected model, a four-cylinder air-cooled, horizontally opposed, direct drive, fuel-injected, tuned induction engine with oil jet internal piston cooling. It includes provision for single action controllable pitch propeller.[4]

So, if I follow the description:
- it's a standard injected engine, 200HP, 8.7:1 (low compression! Good!)
- rear mounted injector with a 14-degree inlet adapter (horizontal? Vertical?) :confused:
- Bendix S4LN-1227 magneto (huh?) :confused:
- Counterweights (low vibrations ! good!)

In plain english: Does it fit the RV-7 cowl for horizontal induction? (no scoop?)
Will it fit the standard dynafocal mount?
Can I upgrade the magnetos to electronic ignition?
Should I use the Arrow III's original propeller (keep vibrations in check)?

Thanks a lot for any light you may shed on this. I'm an electronics engineer, more comfortable with the electrons and silicon than with treated metal and engines :)

Hermann
-----------
In Brazil. Maybe purchasing an RV-7 fuselage...

In plain english: Does it fit the RV-7 cowl for horizontal induction? (no scoop?)
No, You would need to replace the existing Induction system and sump with a forward facing unit ( easy conversion) or modify the one that is on the engine to point forward ( not so easy conversion and installation). The forward facing sump and intake pipes, that are used on the IO-360-A1B6 will bolt right us to the existing C1C6 engine. So will the fuel injection from the c1c6 with a couple of hose changes. So with the sump change you in essence would have an IO-360-A1B6.

Will it fit the standard dynafocal mount? Yes, it would use the same mount that the IO-360-A1B6 would use.

Can I upgrade the magnetos to electronic ignition? Yes, using the same parts and process as any other two magneto 360 or 320 engine.

Should I use the Arrow III's original propeller (keep vibrations in check)?
Up to you......

Good Luck,
Mahlon

Where is the governor? If it is at the front over #2 cylinder then you will have to bump the cowl.
The prop will work - but a Hartzell from Van's will be better (faster, better climb, lower fuel flow) and probably lower vibration.

Pete

Pete,

I have a C1D6 on an RV6A (same engine) - complete but not flown
Intent is to use FP composite prop - weight and cost considerations
Original documentation lists weight as 326 lbs incl assessories.
Original sump replaced with Superior cold induction sump due to required clearance of engine mount. Vetterman made up the exhaust for it.
With the Superior sump, mini alternator, lightweight starter, no vac pump, no gouverner, and a removal of a few other minor weight saving items I expect weight at below 300 lbs.
Cowling is no problem except for little bump for the alternator pulley, but firewall recess is required for the oil filter
This engine has also the counterweighted crank which I am not entirely confident about when used with a FP prop. I also have a C1C which again is the same engine without the counterweights on the crank (-15 lbs) and which I may use instead after overhauling it.
So the conclusion is that you have to watch the weigth and the propeller choice - otherwise it fits without problem

Regs

The original CS prop from the Arrow will probably not be very happy with the much higher cruise speeds of the RV airframe.

A Hartzell blended airfoil prop made for the RVs would be much better, and I believe with the counterweighted crankshaft, that eliminates the RPM range restrictions normally associated with the BA prop on non-counterweighted 360 engines, you probably still ought to call Hartzell and get their official data on the C2YR-1BFP/F7497 prop with the -C1C6 engine's counterweighted crank.