Skykingbob

Well Known Member
Question: As I ponder my future decision on building an RV-8 I would like to use the IO-360 180 hp engine. Obviously they are far more scarce than the 200.

Are there any retro's readily available to convert a 180hp O-360 into an IO-360?

What is the weight difference between the 180 vs 200?

My purpose for using the IO-360 180 is to save weight and better fuel efficiency.

I am the worlds leading expert on my own opinion.......now I would like to hear yours!

Thanks for your input! (or output....whatever you prefer! :D)

My engine started life as an O-360 A1A which is 180hp parallel valve Lycoming. during the rebuild I went with 9:1 pistons, Superior Cold sump and AFP-200 injection unit and Emag/Pmag. Now I call it a IO-360 A1X and figure it is about 190hp. I have know idea of the comparable weight.

RV-7build366.jpg

Bob,
The 180hp vs 200hp is one of the never ending debates but it is interesting.

I also had to made a choice and you will find below some of the reasons I had for choosing the parallel valve (180hp) :

-Lower price
-lighter by almost 30 pounds according to the Lycoming website (IO-360M /IO 360 A)
- specific fuel consumption (lbs of fuel burn per hour to deliver one hp)is almost the same

The 20hp more aren't in my opinion worth the price and weight. Moreover you could have a 200hp from a parallel valve engine without adding weight and this is great :D

Last edited:
Pump you up...

Question: As I ponder my future decision on building an RV-8 I would like to use the IO-360 180 hp engine. Obviously they are far more scarce than the 200.

Are there any retro's readily available to convert a 180hp O-360 into an IO-360?

What is the weight difference between the 180 vs 200?

My purpose for using the IO-360 180 is to save weight and better fuel efficiency.

I am the worlds leading expert on my own opinion.......now I would like to hear yours!

Thanks for your input! (or output....whatever you prefer! :D)

Bob,

My RV4 buddy "Slim" pondered the same question. The Angle Valve IO-360 is a great engine, counterbalanced crank, heavier duty cyllinders, etc. But at a price, 30-40 lbs more than the stock 360. He wanted to avoid the size and weight of the angle valve IO-360, yet garner 200+ horses and still fit in his 4 without cutting the existing baffles and cowl.
Answer: LyCon

Slim took a stock IO-360 180HP injected parallel valve engine, balanced and blueprinted it with a new case line bore and main bearings, then sent the cyllinders off to Ly-Con for Kenny to work his magic. (LyCon also built my Rocket's IO-540 with amazing performance) Slim also installed the 10:1 Ly-Con forged pistons and had all 4 flow matched. End result was well over 200 Horses, smooth power and no additional weight. The RV4 cruised at VNE and climbed like, well, a Rocket!
Well almost...:)

There are several experimental engines out now that accomplish this very well, the IO-375 for one. There are several engine manufacturers who perform HP increase modifications. Aerosport Power, Barrett Performance, Bob Barrows and many others. I recommend calling all of them and getting a quote and ideas to fit your needs and budget. The easiest performance gain on any engine is to increase the airflow and compression ratio. Personal experience has shown electronic ignition as another plus.

I recommend all of the above..

V/R
Smokey
RV4,HR2,RVX
F16...

http://www.lycon.com/ly-con/services.html
http://www.bpaengines.com/
http://www.aerosportpower.com/

PS: My personal favorite though is the IO-320 with 10:1 comp, EI and Vetterman 4-pipe. Same bore as the 360 but shorter stroke, lighter weight, slightly less cost.

Last edited:
Hey Smokey,

I see there is a lot of mods that can be done.....really I don't want to be "mod poor"...I kinda think just a stock IO-360 180 hp would be sufficient. Want to pick up a rebuild-able one.....I am afraid of what the mod folks will charge by the time its all said and done! I went on the sites and I guess you must call for quotes.....I am going to do so to see what the best avenue will be....the best bang for the buck!

Hey Brian.....really looks nice!!!! So how much do the mods ending up setting you back?

I have a little over $20000 in that motor....I don't recall exactly but I think it breaks down as follows:

0hr SMOH O-360 A1A by a shop in Colorado. Test run with 1yr warranty. ~$15800. (Oct 2009)
AFP injection $2100
Emag/Pmag $1650
piston upgrade $400
PP Alt $440

Angle Valve

Bob,

My RV4 buddy "Slim" pondered the same question. The Angle Valve IO-360 is a great engine, counterbalanced crank, heavier duty cyllinders, etc. But at a price, 30-40 lbs more than the stock 360. He wanted to avoid the size and weight of the angle valve IO-360, yet garner 200+ horses and still fit in his 4 without cutting the existing baffles and cowl.
Answer: LyCon

Slim took a stock IO-360 180HP injected parallel valve engine, balanced and blueprinted it with a new case line bore and main bearings, then sent the cyllinders off to Ly-Con for Kenny to work his magic. (LyCon also built my Rocket's IO-540 with amazing performance) Slim also installed the 10:1 Ly-Con forged pistons and had all 4 flow matched. End result was well over 200 Horses, smooth power and no additional weight. The RV4 cruised at VNE and climbed like, well, a Rocket!
Well almost...:)

There are several experimental engines out now that accomplish this very well, the IO-375 for one. There are several engine manufacturers who perform HP increase modifications. Aerosport Power, Barrett Performance, Bob Barrows and many others. I recommend calling all of them and getting a quote and ideas to fit your needs and budget. The easiest performance gain on any engine is to increase the airflow and compression ratio. Personal experience has shown electronic ignition as another plus.

I recommend all of the above..

V/R
Smokey
RV4,HR2,RVX
F16...

http://www.lycon.com/ly-con/services.html
http://www.bpaengines.com/
http://www.aerosportpower.com/

PS: My personal favorite though is the IO-320 with 10:1 comp, EI and Vetterman 4-pipe. Same bore as the 360 but shorter stroke, lighter weight, slightly less cost.

For the most part, I agree with Smokey as I wanted a 180 hp engine when I was building.

However---I came across an angle valve, 200hp Lyc. at a price I couldn't turn down. I completely rebuilt it---new cam and lifters. bearings etc., everything inspected and certified to new limits for less money than some pay for a mid time engine. It was a "yellow tagged" certified engine when I finished.

Because I tried to build as light as possible, I ended up with an RV-8 that weighed 1120lbs empty. Yes it's a little nose heavy, and it isn''t as light on the controlls in aerobatics as lighter 150-180 hp equipped -8's, but with the constant speed prop, it gets off the ground, climbs and runs "like a stripped ape".

All that and I consistantly burn a gallon per hour less (in loose formation) than my buddy with a comparable airplane with a carbed 180 hp. Lyc.

Am I glad I ended up with the 200? OH YEAH!

As with everything in building, opinions are as many as there people reading this. I guess what I'm trying to say is, keep your options open, look for the best deal, build light and when the right engine comes along, be ready to jump on it.

Well that's a whole lot more than I thought it would be! That seems like a great price for what you got!

A parallel-valve IO-360 with 9:1 or greater pistons, cold air induction, putting out 190+hp and turning a 74" Hartzell BA prop is about as close to perfection as you can power an RV-8 with. The -8 in my avatar has a 192hp ECI IO-360 turning that prop, and it feels like the ideal power and W&B combination. I've flown it for almost 80 hours and it thoroughly spoiled me. I still wish my new RV-6 had the same kind of muscle, except whenever I pull up to the fuel pumps :p

For the most part, I agree with Smokey as I wanted a 180 hp engine when I was building.

However---I came across an angle valve, 200hp Lyc. at a price I couldn't turn down. I completely rebuilt it---new cam and lifters. bearings etc., everything inspected and certified to new limits for less money than some pay for a mid time engine. It was a "yellow tagged" certified engine when I finished.

Because I tried to build as light as possible, I ended up with an RV-8 that weighed 1120lbs empty. Yes it's a little nose heavy, and it isn''t as light on the controlls in aerobatics as lighter 150-180 hp equipped -8's, but with the constant speed prop, it gets off the ground, climbs and runs "like a stripped ape".

All that and I consistantly burn a gallon per hour less (in loose formation) than my buddy with a comparable airplane with a carbed 180 hp. Lyc.

Am I glad I ended up with the 200? OH YEAH!

As with everything in building, opinions are as many as there people reading this. I guess what I'm trying to say is, keep your options open, look for the best deal, build light and when the right engine comes along, be ready to jump on it.

Mannan,

Great input! I would like to get a stock IO-360 180 and work it up a little. I am in the process of building a pole building and will order the kit within a year. In the meantime I would like to get an engine and work it up real nice and pickle it....ready to go. I am getting all the intell I can to be able to make the best decision I can......I feel that everybody can throw me a fish and then I can eat the meat of it and throw out the bones!

Thanks for your input!

Bones

Mannan,

Great input! I would like to get a stock IO-360 180 and work it up a little. I am in the process of building a pole building and will order the kit within a year. In the meantime I would like to get an engine and work it up real nice and pickle it....ready to go. I am getting all the intell I can to be able to make the best decision I can......I feel that everybody can throw me a fish and then I can eat the meat of it and throw out the bones!

Thanks for your input!

Don't let your enthusiasm wane. Certainly a place to build is important. Same with tools etc, etc. Do something every day. If you don't, it's sorta like jogging or an exercise bike, it's easier to lay off the next day. This is where perseverance counts. Without it, you may never finish building.

You might get started building now with the tail. I built my whole airplane inside a 14ft. by 50ft. Mobile Home. Had to saw the end of the bar off to have room to scoot buy to get from the living room to the kitchen, but it was do-able. Of course I was single at the time.;)

You can look for an engine to rebuild while you're building the airplane. I had to build mine the "Johnny Cash" way, you know that song, "one piece at a time".:D took 3 and a half years, but it was paid for when I finished.

Neal,

Was it a straight IO-360 180HP or what it some kind of conversion from carb to inject?

It's the ECI "Titan" kit engine, from Americas Aircraft Engines in Tulsa. I think they now call it their "Eagle-IV EX" engine, the IOX-360. All ECI parts, including the ECI constant return flow type of fuel injection, cold air induction / forward facing induction, roller lifters, piston oil squirters, 9.2:1 pistons, dual slick mags.