Does anyone have photos of how they have mounted their Inverted oil system for a 6? I have the Christian inverted tank and hoses that came with the project I bought and would like some insight on where to mount the resovoir container and any do's and don'ts involved. I've been told "Hey you don't need that cause your going to be flying positive manueveurs". Is it worth the safety factor of having inverted oil vs. more oil connections that could lead to more of a chance for a leak or other problem? Questions, Questions,.... Please, only advice from Experts! ;)

Bill Whidden
RV-6
444BW reserved

Bill Whidden said:
I have the Christian inverted tank and hoses that came with the project I bought and would like some insight on where to mount the resovoir container and any do's and don'ts involved. I've been told "Hey you don't need that cause your going to be flying positive manueveurs". Is it worth the safety factor of having inverted oil vs. more oil connections that could lead to more of a chance for a leak or other problem?

I'm not an expert but I do acro on every flight and really like flying around upside down and doing things like hammerheads or reasonable 45 degree downlines. For me inverted systems were a must. I've flown on RV's that don't have inverted fuel/oil and doing acro with them can be sort of interesting when the motor start's to quit. It is preference though because it does add a few lb's.

Here is a pic that I have handy for an RV4 installation:

[img=http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/4589/smallchristin5mb.th.jpg]

Chuck

Bill,

An inverted oil system is only really required if you are going to regularly fly negative g - otherwise you will find oil streaming out of the breather. It is a little complex to fit, as well as the "reservoir" (actually an air/oil separator) you will need a valve unit (has 3 connections on the outside), a set of sump fittings and a breather or vac pad fitting, plus lots of (expensive) hoses. The vertical position of the valve unit is important - I believe it should be approximately level with the normal oil level. Also you should mount the valve 15 or 20 deg off the vertical (bottom sticking out) to help maintain oil pressure during vertical up & down lines. Raven Aircraft (in Canada) sell this stuff at about half the price of Christen.

Pete