ronschreck

Well Known Member
:confused:I "stole" my RV-8 paint scheme from a WWII P-51 but I always wondered how the configuration of the invasion stripes was decided upon. I notice that there are considerable differences in the pattern of stripes... some are only on the bottom of the wings, some on top and bottom, and similarly different or even non-existant on the fuselage or horizontal tail. I contacted the Smithsonian Aviation Museum to see if they could find the original operations order that mandated the application of invasion stripes prior to D-Day but they have not responded.
So, do any of you history buffs want to tackle this one?

From Wikipedia:

The use of recognition stripes was conceived when a study of the effects of thousands of aircraft using IFF on D-Day concluded that they would saturate and break down the existing system. Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory, commanding the Allied Expeditionary Air Force, approved the scheme on May 17, 1944. A small scale test exercise was flown over the OVERLORD invasion fleet on June 1, to familiarize the ships' crews with the markings, but for security reasons, orders to paint the stripes were not issued to the troop carrier units until June 3 and to the fighter and bomber units until June 4.

The stripes were five alternating black and white stripes. On single-engined aircraft each stripe was to be 18 inches wide, placed 6 inches inboard of the roundels on the wings and 18 inches forward of the leading edge of the tailplane on the fuselage. National markings and serial number were not to be obliterated. On twin-engined aircraft the stripes were 24 inches wide, placed 24 inches outboard of the engine nacelles on the wings, and 18 inches forward of the leading edge of the tailplane around the fuselage.

In most cases the stripes were painted on by the ground crews; with only a few hours notice few of the stripes were "masked".[1] As a result, depending on the abilities of the "erks" (RAF nickname for ground crew), the stripes were often far from neat and tidy.

An earlier use of black and white bands was on the Hawker Typhoon and early production Hawker Tempest Mark Vs. The aircraft had a similar profile to the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 and the bands were added to aid identification in combat. The order was promulgated on 5 December 1942. At first they were applied by unit ground crews, but they were soon being painted on at the factory. Four 12 inch wide black stripes separated by three 24-inch white, underwing from the wingroots. From early 1943 the Typhoons also had a yellow, 18 inch wide stripe on each of the upper wings, centred on the inner cannon. All of these markings were officially abandoned 7 February 1944.

Wow, that's more information than I have received to date. Does anybody know how I might find a copy of the original order? That would be an interesting piece of historical documentation.

Smokey,
I visited the RAF museum in London years back. I specifically recall the mountains of documentation they kept.
Perhaps a call to em?

USAAF Markings

A decent reference on aircraft markings from WWII is:

Archer, Robert D. US Army Air Forces : aircraft markings and camouflage, 1941-1947 : the history of USAAF aircraft markings, insignia, camouflage, and colors / Robert D. Archer ; color illustrations by Victor G. Archer. Atglen, PA : Schiffer Pub., c1997.

Good hunting,
Mike

I got my glider rating from a man who had flown P-38's and P-51's over Europe. His name was Rolf Prigge and he was a German ace. This was the reason for the secrecy. Germany had repaired a small number of our aircraft that were forced down and would have loved to sneak into formations of our bombers. I have no idea how successful this could have been, but new markings kept it from happening, at least for a short time. My father was one of those who painted the markings, being a ground crew chief, and he said it required a huge order for black and white paint. BTW, Rolf was one of the 200 109 pilots chosen to fly the 262 as a fighter. He said the 109 flew better than the P-51, but I suppose there was a bit of prejudice there...

Bob Kelly

In the field...

In most cases the stripes were painted on by the ground crews; with only a few hours notice few of the stripes were "masked".[1] As a result, depending on the abilities of the "erks" (RAF nickname for ground crew), the stripes were often far from neat and tidy.

Definitely a DIY field job....:) For the US as well as the English forces...

stripes1.jpg

History

My father also helped paint the invasion stripes. He worked in paint, dope and fabric as well as a machine shop. Years ago, told me that even the cooks were helping to paint the stripes to get them done in time. When our -7 is finished, it will have a P-51 scheme with invasion stripes in his honor.:)

No stripes

My father got to Europe after the invasion. As a result, his P-47 did not have the invasion stripes. I am planning to paint my plane in a loose interpretation of his squadron markings.

<<This may be the document previously mentioned...>>

Gil, you're amazing; was that as simple as Googling "invasion stripes" or another example of your "find it" magic? You're really good at finding stuff that takes me forever.

Invasion stripes for RVs

So many RV-8s have the stripes...that it's starting to look natural.
I think they improve safety as well as look patriotic and cool.
What width of stripe are you using so it 'looks right'. How far from the fuse?
I'm getting ready to put the wings on, and the paint job is always on my mind....

Pure luck...

<<This may be the document previously mentioned...>>

Gil, you're amazing; was that as simple as Googling "invasion stripes" or another example of your "find it" magic? You're really good at finding stuff that takes me forever.

Pure luck in this case...:)

I was looking at reasons for the stripes... for aerial identification vs. the German planes, or for the Allied gunners on the ground shooting at the wrong guys, and just happened to hit on this one.

As a D-Day side note: My IA was a B-17 co-pilot on D-day, and he said it was almost the easiest two missions he got. They reloaded the plane and fed the crew sandwiches in the plane, and they got two missions on one day... it beat flying into the heart of Germany. The B-17s apparently never got stripes, only the planes considered "tactical" (which the 8 th Air Force was not...)

gil A

PS ... his easiest mission was his last when he flew his B-17 around for the movie "Way to the Stars" with some quite famous actors/actresses...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038238/

It's actually a good period movie worth watching if you get the chance.

Last edited: