Morning everyone,
I thought I would say hey from Fort Worth Texas. Im obviously new to the site, but I will be posting a lot as I am interested in an RV-8 build. I currently have a Cherokee 180, but am ready to get into the experimental side. Look forward to learning about these awesome airplanes.

Welcome

Great source of information here. I couldn't do it without the help of the fine folks on this forum. Good luck with your build!!!

Tom

Welcome James...
I too would recommend a 7. That way both parties see the entire view 😃
Welcome. A lot of great, knowledgeable folks here

Smilin' Jack

Model

Thank ya Larry,
That's not a biased recommendation is it? HAHA I like your reserved N number. I have N3827F reserved.

Thanks. It's my wife's lucky number and I figure when the controller responds with three characters, 1RV will sound cool.
We all joke about the best model but when it comes down to it, they are all great. The experts here are some of the brightest minds in aviation. They have saved me so many mistakes.
#1 advise, ask questions and ask often.

Ah, a fellow Cherokee driver! I have a Warrior I am flying now, and am building an 8A. Have your wife sit in the back of one and see what she thinks. Even better, get her a ride in one. :) The view from the back seat of the -8 (not to mention the amount of room) is pretty good for the passenger tandem plane. Quite different in the back seat when compared to a -4 for example.

James nice to have you here! Have you ordered tail kit yet? If not, do it first thing on Monday morning. Don't worry much about the tools or shop or where to get money for the engine now just get those two first boxes in the house. You would be glad you did :D

James nice to have you here! Have you ordered tail kit yet? If not, do it first thing on Monday morning. Don't worry much about the tools or shop or where to get money for the engine now just get those two first boxes in the house. You would be glad you did :D

Guys thanks for all the great welcomes. This seems to be one of the friendliest forums I've perused through. Glad to finally be a member.

I TRIED TO snag a tail kit being sold in San Antonio by a member here, but I was a day or two late on it. It was a great deal. I AM looking, once I start I can't give up. Lol.

Greg, that's a great idea. Have a buddy that has a -4, but her flying in that won't be the same I would imagine. She at least has flown tandem back seat in my cousins t-34, but again, not the same. Need to hook her up with a. -8 ride somehow.

Question of the hour, I'm not just really mechanically inclined, and have never fabricated or built anything to this extent. Think it's wayyyyyy over my head? Hope not.

Question of the hour, I'm not just really mechanically inclined, and have never fabricated or built anything to this extent. Think it's wayyyyyy over my head? Hope not.

James
Lots of RVs have been built by people with no previous experience. Some not even pilots.
The key is support. Join the local EAA chapter and hook up with a mentor. Buy the two Vans practice kits and a couple trim kits and learn. Trim kits are several pieces of aluminum sheet in various thicknesses. After an afternoon with a mentor on one or both of the two kits, some cold beverages and some additional practice, you will have the skills to start. You can also attend a builder clinic and watch the EAA webinars. Like anything else, you never stop learning.

Welcome James!
Im a rookie here as well by all standards but in my short time on VAF and starting my 7 i have found this site and its members to be essential!