ChevelleGuy

I'm New Here
Hi all:

I've been browsing through this forum for the better part of the last 2-3 months and as of last night I officially became a builder (well, maybe not officially, I shelled out the $55 for the 7/7A preview plans). I've greatly enjoyed reading the banter between members and I'm looking forward to adding my own slant on things... :)

I was wondering what your opinions were on flight time while building an RV, especially for new pilots (I don't quite yet have my PPL, 1 more solo cc req and then the 3 hours review). I don't really want to buy a plane to build time with, but on the other hand, I really don't want to keep flying the *cough* planes at my flight school (Piper Cherokee 140's). The school also has a Mooney M20C. Would it be worth renting that to build time with? In any case, I'll be using it to get my complex signoff. Do you think $120/hr wet is ridiculous for a 60's Mooney with a Garmin 430.

Thanks,
Chris Dilks

intro: 31, engaged (the fiance wants to build as much as I do, but I wanted an 8, she wants a 7A) , chemical engineer, Easton, PA

(ps My user name may be all that remains of my other hobby if I can't get by building with 1/2 of a 2 car garage. so sad)

There isn't much point in "building" flight time while you're building. The hours will be much cheaper once you finish the RV. However, you should try to stay current, and I don't mean just doing touch and gos every 90 days. I earned my PPL nearly 2 years ago. At first, I was flying every month. Then it was every couple months. Now I haven't flown since last fall. I'm pouring so much $$$ into the project right now, that it's tough to rent a plane for $100+/hr. Plus I'd rather spend the time finishing up the RV. My plan is to start flying again next month once the weather gets a bit better. I'll get current with an instructor, do my BFR, fly every 2 weeks to stay fresh, and then do transition training once I get close to finishing.

And buying a plane to fly with in the meantime is a sure way to stretch out and/or kill the RV project. There are many days that I would have flown vs. building if I had a plane. :)

Dave

get your ppl

and don't worry about doing a lot of flying until you get your rv done. You will probably want to take transition training in the type rv you are building and that will take the rust off. In the meantime I would fly only enough to keep current in case you run across a situation where someone wants a ride and will pay for the gas but I am in the same boat whereas I have a 172 sitting at the airport but I have been flying only enough to keep current and putting most of my financial resources into the rv. I might sell the cessna soon.

Fly the Cherokee until you are through with getting your PPL. Then get a few hours in the Mooney to get used to a controllable prop, if that is what you will be putting in your RV-7(A). Then before you test fly your plane, get some good transition training from Mike Seager or Alex Dominicus.

I'm really glad to hear that your fiance wants to get involved with the building. She should also get her PPL along with you. The 7A is much more cozy than an 8.

Best of luck,

Roberta :)

Chris:

The beauty of this site (and others) is that you connect to other like minded folks. Just for you: I'll introduce you to a grunch of 7 and 7A folks that live within 10 miles of you (I live 8 miles from you) You are more than welcome to stop by to see, touch, smell, drool or, just to gain a better perspective on the building process. (Please wipe up any drool.)

Seriously though, building goes SOOOOOO much better with a support group! I sent you an offline email with specifics. Welcome to the lifestyle.

Jekyll

buy a nice inexpensive, basic VFR 6A as soon as you find one and figure out how to pay for it and go have fun now.

Especially since you're finishing up your PPSEL. summertime is almost here.

fly-in's every weekend now.

FWIW

The Choice Is Obvious

ChevelleGuy said:
Hi all:
intro: 31, engaged (the fiance wants to build as much as I do, but I wanted an 8, she wants a 7A) , chemical engineer, Easton, PA

Well it is clear which plane you are going to build so that is one decision you won't have to agonize over. Welcome to the ranks of the 7A builders.

Deferring Flying so I can Build

My wife and I talked about this quite a bit. I got my PPL and then racked up about 100hrs before starting on our -10. Initially I thought about flying just enough to keep current during the build process, but we both eventually decided that would probably make the build much longer than we wanted, and divert funds from the plane (one of the deciding factors on building was that the plane must be paid for when its done). So, the decision was made that as we sock away money during the build process, a decent portion of it would be designated as the "recurrent training" money. I plan to spend quite a bit of time (and money!) with an instructor(s) over a short period of time towards the end of our build in order to get recurrent. It won't be a simple 5 hrs just to get back in the swing of things... I expect with my lack of experience (~100hrs in 152s & 172s) that 1) I'll need to get recurrent, 2) I'll need to get high hp & complex signoffs, 3) I'll simply need some time in the air to get comfortable again, 4) I'll need some transition training, and 5) - I'll need a whole lot of respect for the plane I'll be stepping up to. Under our circumstances maintaining/acquiring this over the course of the build wasn't a good option for us. YMMV.