jcfields

Hey all,

I've been lurking around here for a while, soaking up info, and trying to decide if I want to take the plunge into this RV builing thing. Well, I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to build an RV-7A. So, I figured now was as good a time as any to dive in here and start asking stupid questions :D.

I haven't ordered my tail kit from Van's yet (I'm waiting 'til I sell my Bonanza before I spend any money on ANOTHER plane; the wife has imposed this requirement). But I am trying to get my garage configured, and I've started scrounging for tools (the Avery kit is nice, but it's expensive too!). Unfortunately, I've not worked with metal much. So, to keep from screwing up my empennage when I get it, I figure I should probably get some training. To that end, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a builder's workshop or something similar in the DFW area that provides this sort of training? Also, are there any DFW area builders on here that wouldn't mind showing me your RV project (so I can really see what I'm getting myself into)? And lastly, are there any EAA chapters or RV builders groups in the area that meet (regularly) that I might join?

Anywho, thanks for all the great info and discussions you guys contribute to this site. It's awesome.

Thanks,
Jeremy

RV Central

Jeremy,

Come to Hicks T67, I have several guys building here. I have all the tools and shop space. You can get a good education just visiting.

Park in front of the Restaurant and walk south to #584.

Jeremy-

I'm in Flower Mound, about 8 miles East of NW Regional...right down 1171.

I've got an emp in fiberglass stage, a set of -8A wings in a cradle (finished except for tips) and a fuse kit expected to deliver around 9/15. You're welcome anytime to take a look.

When I was at your phase, I did 2 things. The visit to Jay's pushed me over the edge. Just don't stand around too long, or he'll put you to work ;)

I took George Orendorff's class, but they left TX a while ago. Highly recommend some kind of class before hand.

Welcome to VAF.

Joe

Last edited:
Gents,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Jay, is a Sat. or Sun. okay? If so, I may try to stop by this weekend.

Joe, thanks for the offer. Are you gonna be around this weekend? If so, I'll give you a call and come by to see her.

I'm itching to get this thing ordered and get started. Every builder's blog that I read just gets me more and more excited. Anybody wanna buy a Bonanza real cheap so I can get movin'? :p

Jeremy-

Not this weekend (maybe Sunday), but I've got almost the entire month of September off, except for two 4 day blocks.

I'll also be around for sure starting Monday through the end of Aug.

I'm around in the evenings too, doesn't have to be a weekend on my side.

Just give me a call.

Joe

PS...no comments about how easy the airline pilot's schedule is from the peanut gallery please :) It's vacation month.