bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
I went to a flyin a couple weeks ago and meet a fellow pilot that has created a new product for the RV community:

The Fresh Aero RV EasyLift provides a stable and safe lifting environment for servicing RV 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 series aircraft gear and wheel assemblies. A combination of innovation, quality and intrinsic safety make the Easy Lift one of the finest lift systems in the aviation market today and a superior solution for lifting RV aircraft. It doesn?t get any easier than this!

The direct link to his RV EasyLift page is:
http://www.steelebrook.com/rvel.htm

Want to see a video demo that I created for him of the RV EasyLift:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuUOTk_PeXs

I am not affiliated with this company just helping him introduce it to the RV community. If you do order one tell him you heard about it from Bobby Hester.

I never thought about it before but, is the tie down a good jacking point? I always thought that jacking from the main gear was the only good jack point...just thinking out loud.

I never thought about it before but, is the tie down a good jacking point? I always thought that jacking from the main gear was the only good jack point...just thinking out loud.

And I'm thinking....

The wings support the weight in flight.

The main spar supports the wing.

And the tie downs are attached to the main spar.

But then I really don't know the total answer, except that numerous other airplanes are supported this way.

L.Adamson

Load forces depending, I think that would be a van's question. I certainly wouldn't jack any aircraft from somewhere that isn't a designated jack point without a bit of research.

Jack Product

It's a great idea. People have been using the tie down points as jack points on the RV series through the RV9 since the beginning. 30 years. Just be sure the aircraft is blocked and appropriately balanced (or tied down).

Put on new tires last month and borrowed the local A&P's hydraulic aircraft jack. I figure if you can lift a Bonanza safely on two, an RV should handle the strain with no problems. Remove the tiedown ring and install a socket head capscrew. Considering the distance from the centerline, you are transferring much of the weight to the other wheel and probably only lifting 2-300 pounds. Just don't let it move. Very easy, and electric would be easier!

That being said, a standard hydraulic jack for a Cherokee (like what we used) is only $189.

Bob Kelly

I bought a hydraulic jack from Harbor Freight for $40 and built a stand like you see in the video. Works great.

Yes, you can jack up an RV at the tie downs.

Rick,

Check the latest online Van's catalog! They have been selling a jacking kit for a long time that includes two screw-in jack pads.

Fabbed my own wing jacks years ago from scrap 3/4 square tubing, some barrel nuts and 5/8 redi rod, total cost $9. Machine off some GR8 bolts round to thread into tie down mounts and the jack top captures these in a recess. Works great.

I have a lift table

$80 from Harbor Freight that I made a frame for to lift my Sam James cowl up into position..Its a little unweildy to do it by yourself otherwise.

It turns out its perfect for parking under the tie down and jacking the airplane off the floor. I'm hoping my RV buddy will buy one too and then we could lift both main wheels off the floor at the same time.

Frank

It's a very nice jack, but for slightly more, you can get two wing jacks. With two jacks and several cement blocks, with a chain, you can lift the whole plane off the ground. This makes servicing all the wheels at once or lining up the gear and wheel pants much easier.

Yes, the tie down point on the wings are Van's approved jacking points as they sell the jack points that screw into the tiedown holes. I use a tiedown eye and chains with blocks to hold the tail. Adjusting the length of the chain allows me to level the plane with all three wheels up.

Roberta

planejack2ow5.jpg

planejack1yr6.jpg

I've got a taildragger. Ya suppose I should hang those cinder blocks from my prop to get the tail off the ground? ;) :eek:

Karl

Hey RV8N,

That would work. I'm sure all the wheels would get off the ground. You would, of course, need to repair your cowl, prop and spinner when the nose hits the ground, and anything else that gets crushed in the process.

I think, for CG reasons, it would be best to tie up the tail with the blocks, though.:p

Roberta