DEWATSON

Well Known Member
What are you using to improve the looks of the intersection of the glareshield and winshield on the inside? I painted a one inch border on the inside of the windshield to hide the back side of the outdise fiberglass fairing, but the windshield is not perfectly uniform all the way around where it meets the glareshield and I'd like to improve the looks of this intersection.

David Watson
49FD

Dye

Best bet is to put black (or color of choice) dye into the epoxy. That works great.

I thought of it immediately after NOT doing it on my first airplane. Had to build a whole new airplane to fix it. :D

dedgemon,

I guess the second airplane is always better than the first. Maybe I'll have to do it again too!!!!!!

David

rubber tube moulding

I used black dye in the epoxy when I glassed the windshield fairing, but that doesn't do much for the interior edge of the windshield where it meets the glare shield.

I had variable gap of zero to 1/8" to the edge of the plex, and the back side of glass cloth visible in those gaps.

So, I took a length of 1/4" neoprene vacuum tubing and layed it into the interior corner with some epoxy. It gives a nice clean finished look to the interior.

Thanks Steve....I'll buy some today and cut it to fit to see how I like it. The neoprene hose should last very well too. My windshield is like yours....several high spots between it and the glareshield.

David watson
49FD

What are you using to improve the looks of the intersection of the glareshield and winshield on the inside? I painted a one inch border on the inside of the windshield to hide the back side of the outdise fiberglass fairing, but the windshield is not perfectly uniform all the way around where it meets the glareshield and I'd like to improve the looks of this intersection.

David Watson
49FD
The gap between the upper fuselage skin and windshield was not exactly uniform on my -8 either. I solved that problem by using the common glareshield edge trim I just could not bring myself to use on the edge of the glareshield like 90% of the RV's out there and instead used that edge trim to fill in the gap instead. For a more rounded and substantial look, I chose to use a slit air hose on the glareshield edge.

2mfisgm.jpg

Pics?

This post got me thinking about my upcoming windshield install and the fact that mine is also not uniform. Thanks to all for the great descriptions! Does anyone have additional pictures they can share? Thanks Rick for yours!
Thanks in advance!
Brent

Last edited:
Rick,

Yours looks very nice and I bet the slit air hose provides better cushion on the glareshield edge. That's a great idea.

I think I'm going to use Steve Smith's trick though. I bought the vaccuum hose and tucked it in to see how it looked while I was at lunch today. It really does look nice.....now if I can just get it fastened in without making a huge mess. I'll post a picture when I finish it tonight.

David Watson
49FD

I read an article about lowering the wind noise in your aircraft and they suggested carpet for the top of the glare shield. I purchased a piece of black aviation carpet and cut it to fit on top of the glare shield. The thickness hid the intersection very well. I then purchased some rubber trim from McMaster carr that fit over the edge of the glareshiels and carpet. It kind of clamped itself on. I did not need to secure the carpet or the trim. It holds everything in place and is easily removable if needed. The gps anntena do not wander on the carpet.
2w32wjk.jpg

2ajup11.jpg

Last edited:
Rubber channel

Has anyone used a simple rubber channel over the bottom edge of the wind shield prior to installation and glassing the fairing? I was looking at my windshiled last night and it seemed like a simple solution to cleaning up that edge.